can I convert a Moen slip fit tub spout to a screw-on?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweaterfan

Reaction score
When I went to update my old Moen tub spout with a new Moen slip-fit, I found out that the builder converted the old spout from a slip-fit to a screw-on by somehow successfully unscrewing the plastic tube inside the spout and soldering a threaded nipple onto the pipe. My new Moen spout is, of course, pricey and I wonder if there's a way for me to do the same thing without scratching it or breaking the plastic tube inside. I can't remove the pipe coupler and nipple because it would make the pipe too short, so I have to use a screw-on.

I had a plumber come by to have a look and he tried to carefully loosen the tube with a wrench, but it wouldn't budge and he was afraid to crack it or damage the finish. I'm practicing with another old Moen spout that still has the plastic tube (slip-fit), and it sure is stubborn.

Has anyone sucessfully converted a slip-fit like this to a screw-on?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

I have converted a slip fit spout to a IPS spout (screw on). Not saying all slip fit spout are convertible. On slip fit spout the plastic slip fit insert is glued into the threads of spout that's why your plumber had a hard time trying to remove the insert. Once the insert is removed the spout threads will have glue in them, that glue needs to be removed. Why not call moen and have them send you a IPS spout or return the new spout for a IPS spout.

Ah, that's why it's in there so tight. Thanks for the info. I can return one of the trim sets, but I already threw away the packaging for the other. The second bathroom had an old slip fit, so I thought it was going to be easy. Wrong. The pipe from the wall is at such a downward angle that there's a big space at the top of the spout where it meets the wall. The plumber said he would have to cut the hard pipe back and extend it with soft pipe, bending it and converting that one to IPS.

I know - I should have kept everything until it was all done :(

Thanks again!

It seems your "plumber" is over his head with the relatively simple details of your project. Never use soft copper for a tub spout...who would do that? Find another plumber.

Latest posts

Back