Kitchen sink clogged. Best 1st step?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAA

Reaction score
My (dual) kitchen sink became clogged over the weekend. It takes about 20 seconds of running the water before it starts backing up and both sinks back up. It is not a full clog. If the sink fills up and I leave it alone, within a few minutes the water will work its way down.

My wife made a lot of cupcakes with coconut slivers right before it got clogged. I figured the coconut slivers contributed to this clog.

I have a $30 snake, the kind that winds into a circular drum.

What's the best 1st step to take in situations like this? Chemicals? Plunger? Straight to snake?

Are sink plungers even worth buying? They are cheap and if they can help in clogs like this, I'd definitely invest in one.

I appreciate any help/tips you can offer, and thank you in advanced! :)

plunging can blow the pipes apart under the sink and water can shoot out of the air gap. shopvac wate from sink take pipes apart and run snake down drain

Hey if you want to use homemade solutions then try first Plunger is the best option or metal wire Hanger it unclogs your kitchen sink.
To prevent future clogs, avoid putting food waste, solids and kitchen oils down the drain as much as possible. Even when the kitchen sink is not clogged, you can use the baking soda and vinegar method (illustrated below) as regular maintenance to keep your sink drains flowing as smoothly as possible.

Cover one strainer with a wet rag and fill it with a bit of water so no air escapes. Then plunge the heck out of it.

Latest posts

Back