Leaking Copper Water Supply Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opened up a ceiling to determine the cause of water stains and found a leak in the horizontal run of a copper water supply pipe. The leaking area had the green scaly crud There were also a few other areas that had green crud but no leaks. There were no joints or anything touching the pipe in these areas. The pipe runs beside a joist and through solid blocking that is installed 16" oc. I'll open up a couple of more areas in the other blocking bays to see what the pipe looks like there so I'll know how much to replace. I've never soldered so I wanted to complete the repair with compression fittings. Is this a good approach? If so, what brand(s) of fittings do you recommend?
Thank You

I wouldn't want to install compression fitting in an enclosed, non accessible location such as that. They are too prone to leak for no apparent reason down the road.

If the copper piping is failing for no apparent reason, I am thinking that you will continue to have problems. It might be time to start looking at repiping.

I wouldn't want to install compression fitting in an enclosed, non accessible location such as that. They are too prone to leak for no apparent reason down the road.

If the copper piping is failing for no apparent reason, I am thinking that you will continue to have problems. It might be time to start looking at repiping.

Thank You. I took your advice and had the connections done with sweated solder joints. The good news is that the corrosion was confined to one bay. Checked the bays on either side and everything was fine. Interesting or what? Maybe a little gift from the original installer.

Keep in mind all the lines are the same age and in the same conduction. As phishfood said it may be time to consider a re-pipe. At the least turn of the main valve when leaving the home unattended.

Keep in mind all the lines are the same age and in the same conduction. As phishfood said it may be time to consider a re-pipe. At the least turn of the main valve when leaving the home unattended.

Opened the ceiling along the entire horizontal run and other than the bay with the bad spots everything else was clean. The basement is unfinished and there are no signs of trouble in any of the supply lines running across it or under any sinks, etc. The plumber was not concerned about anything else.
The house is 26 years old. Could there be other bad spots....sure. I would expect to see a pin hole leak before a gusher. The house has a forced hot water heating system and I don't think it would be happy if I shut the main every time we left the house.

Jimmiem, I am not trying to pile on but I do agree with John & Phishfood. I don't think the plumber left you a gift. Please do some research on COPPER PITTING CORROSION and you will see why John & Phishfood are concerned about you pipping. You will be amazed as to what is going on inside your copper piping. Outside looks good but maybe not the inside.

Nice Suggestion!! I will also follow this in my practice.

Back