Dbl sink not draining

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongBeachside

Reaction score
Good evening, all

We live on an upper floor of a condo complex (circa 1920s).

Our double kitchen sink began draining slowly a couple of days ago, and now, not draining at all. Today I pulled apart the pipes beneath the sink -- the p-trap and everything is clear.

When I pushed a wire coat hanger through the drain pipe -- in the direction of the wall -- it came back with gunk on it.

I'll call the HOA in the morning, but I'd like to understand what's going on. Thoughts greatly appreciated.

You most likely have a blockage well beyond what a coat hanger can reach. For a few bucks, a professional can clear this for you.

You could also try clearing this yourself without hiring a professional and save yourself some money. Just google tips to clear clogged drains. You will find all sorts of methods from baking soda and vinegar, to coat hangers and drano, to snakes and other natural remedies.

Good evening, all

We live on an upper floor of a condo complex (circa 1920s).

Our double kitchen sink began draining slowly a couple of days ago, and now, not draining at all. Today I pulled apart the pipes beneath the sink -- the p-trap and everything is clear.

When I pushed a wire coat hanger through the drain pipe -- in the direction of the wall -- it came back with gunk on it.

I'll call the HOA in the morning, but I'd like to understand what's going on. Thoughts greatly appreciated.

whats going on is grease build up, when you poked your coat hanger into the pipe, it went thru the clog. when you pulled it back, the jelly like clog just closed up around the hole you made with the wire.

it will take a sink machone to scour the sides of the pipe and send the blockage on its way down the line

do not use the drano crap, it is not good for the pipes or the environment. hot water will liquefy grease
there are tons of home remedy's. but in the end. the pipe needs to be professionally cleaned

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back