Need advice on installing a service line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
I need advice on installing a service line from the meter to the house. I’ve had some experience (i.e. ongoing trouble) with a couple of well systems, but never tapped into a water meter or had to use so much pipe. I know there are calculations and standards for this kind of thing. I have a trencher and several hundred feet of the pipe described below. This is low (no) budget project, so I really need to use the pipe I already have.

PIPE: Black plastic with the following markings; 1 ¼”, 160 PSI @ 23º C., Bama Line, NSF ???, PF3408, ASTM D2239. Total length from the meter to the house is approximately 200 ft. The pipe is in 20-40 ft. sections.

HOUSE: 1 standard bathroom (toilet, sink, and tub w/shower), 30 gallon water heater, 1 kitchen sink, 1 ice maker, 1 washing machine, and 1 outside faucet.

HILL: Meter is approximately 40-50 ft. above ground level of the house. Approximately 144 ft. of the service line will curve down hill around rocks and trees. Then there is a 10-12 ft. vertical drop that will need 20-24 ft. of pipe due to the angle of the drop. It is 10 ft. from the bottom of the hill to the front of the house. It’s another 24 ft. to the back of the house where it will connect to the existing plumbing.

Do I have the right pipe? Am I missing anything about installing a service line? Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Diagram.jpg

That is an hdpe pipe so it will need to be fusion bonded unless there is another way to coupling it.

if you want to stay cheap i would use pvc sch 40 better pipe sch 80. the pvc does not have to be fused as chris was saying and is a little more forgiving if you mess up. i always recommend copper but pvc is the cheaper solution.

Sch 40 PVC is common around me and at less than a buck a foot I would also recommend it. A lot easier to install as well.

Latest posts

Back