How do I turn on the shower?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_phat

Reaction score
Ok, I know I am missing something. I can't figure out how to turn on the shower on this fixture. Is the diverter valve somewhere else? It not on the spout from what I can tell nor the shower head.

ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1406214611.377216.jpg

Do you have a metal knob sticking out of the top of the tub spout? If you do pull up on it.

If you plug the spout with your hand does it come out of the shower head? Maybe they tossed one on the wall to sell the place, unfortunately I have seen that.

Thanks all, turns out the previous owners installed a non diverter spout.

The shower knob didn't pull out to divert?

Yeah it didn't I almost pulled the thing off. The previous owners didn't use the shower so they just got a plain spout

The shower knob didn't pull out to divert?

The valve is a Mixet brand with separate temperature and volume controls. No built-in diverter.

Interesting hack job by the previous owner. Usually the spout is the opposite. I had one last week where on a tub only the previous plumber, yes a real plumber, had installed the tub/shower diverter spout that came with the old faucet. When I changed the faucet out with a new model, I installed a tub only spout. Too bad we could not have switched spouts!

Last edited:
No kidding Zanne, thanks for identifying the valve. I was hoping to get the type if valve. I have never seen anything like it

i had a job where a so called plumber but i will call him a handyman mounted the tub spout where the overflow plate goes on the tub. a real genious. it is people like that that give true professionals a bad name.

i had a job where a so called plumber but i will call him a handyman mounted the tub spout where the overflow plate goes on the tub. a real genious. it is people like that that give true professionals a bad name.

Nowadays things and codes are different, but back in the days there was tub spout mount through the overflow hole. Here's a pic of a standing tub waste with faucet.

waste.jpg

I had that restored (inside & out) for a customer of mine.

I thought I was pretty creative with that one!

For clarification, it was SHR who identified the valve. Credit where credit is due. :D

But I know how it can get confusing sometimes going through posts and putting the wrong name to the text. I do that often.

And yikes on the overflow valve spot being used as a spout. I think one of my tubs has a diverter switch with a hole for the overflow.

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back