garbage disposer comparison

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giwatcher

Reaction score
I need to replace my disposer and am comparing insinkerator to wasteking. I have read many reviews as well as the install manuals of both and see pros and cons. One thing is not discussed by anyone. My original kitchenaid disposal has an auto reverse switch to aid in unjamming. The insinkerator has a wrench to manually turn the impeller to unjam, but the waste king has nothing. I have had to struggle with brute force to use a broom stick to fix a jam on occasion, and levering the stick damages the splash guard, and requires too much force for the average female, I am told by my wife. How come no one points out the lack of options to unjam with the waste king? I know it has a powerful motor, but jams do occur. Am I being overly concerned?

No, this is certainly a concern. This is why I always use the Insinkerator brand. Also, they are relatively inexpensive and quick to install.

Rather than a broom handle, use something like this Disposal Free-All tool. I use one once in a while.

Disposer free-all tool.jpg

That tool looks like it would work, and I didn't know it was available. Thanks. I have noticed that waste king is half the price of insinkerator, has a rubber gasket for the sink flange if the sink is stainless, so no putty needed, has a preinstalled power cord, and a much longer warranty. What am I missing?

Waste King half the price of Insinkerator?

I'm beginning to smell a former member who was actually someone who worked at Waste King, and was banned for trying to promote un-truths. I apologize if you are not connected, but the consensus with the professionals and DIY'ers like myself is that the Insinkerator brand is pretty hard to beat for the price.

I'm sorry you mistook me for someone else. I have no affiliation whatsoever with any vendor, and have never been banned from any forum. I am a consumer looking for the best product, and those 2 brands stand out on You Tube and other forums, including Consumer Reports. I am trying to make the best decision with the info I have available. Maybe you can address my points and show me my errors, so that I make a good decsion. I welcome any information that directs me to the better product. You can confirm the pricing I have suggested on Lowes, Home depot, Walmart, Amazon, and I too am suspicious as to why there is a price discrepancy. I have noticed that wasteking uses a plastic housing, and therefore can't corrode, but what about durability? The other points of difference are valid, such as a much longer warranty, but maybe not as much of an issue as I think. That's why I am trying to consult experts. I will assume you are also unaffiliated with any vendor.

That is correct. I have no affiliations at all. I'm just a home owner here volunteering my time, as everyone else here, to provide as much information to help others just for an occasional thumbs up, and our own pride.

Looking at homedepot.com right now, I see they are carrying two models of Waste King, one for ~$155 and the other for ~$209. Under the Insinkerator Brand, there are 42 models available with a beginning price of ~$59.

The comparison you made is not for a comparable product. You picked the highest price limited availability wasteking and the bottom line Insinkerator. I am looking at 3/4 hp unit and have decided these two are comparable. Look at these Amazon links and note the product details and price for similar size units and then tell me why there is no need to consider both:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014X7B5E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G9XC7S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back