Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Main Shutoff Valve Slow Leak

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
skipsax

Default Main Shutoff Valve Slow Leak

Hello all!
My first post here - hopefully some of you can help.

My shutoff valve to the main water supply has developed a slow leak. My wife said it's been a couple weeks (in laundry room) and she just let me know tonight.

I have not touched it at all except to turn the valve off and on again. I'm tempted to give the nut a turn with a wrench but concerned about making it worse. My assumption is the next level up to shutoff is at the street and that's beyond me.

A) Should I turn it to the right to tighten the connection? Not sure about any reverse threads.
B) Should I leave alone and call a professional plumber?

The pic attached should show the dark, wet part next to the nut.

Thanks in advance for steering me in the right direction.
Skip

File Type: jpg IMG_2584.jpg (99.1 KB, 13 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
journeyman
the professional

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 77

yes try to turn the packing nut to the right and see if it will stop the leak. be careful and dont force it. it is probably loose. eventually it will need to be replaced

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply