No Water from Well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVonHassel

Reaction score
Any help troubleshooting my problem would be greatly appreciated. I have a submersible pump (about 550 feet) that was replaced about four years ago. Today we had no water coming from any faucets. I checked the well circuit breaker (it was on). I checked the expansion tank pressure gauge (reading 60 psi). I pulled the whole home water filter (no change). Very little water was coming out of filter supply side. I opened the water valve (by the expansion tank) and water came out. I didn't open it much since the water flows on the floor. Tomorrow I'll connect a hose to the valve and see how much water comes out. We just got back from a week vacation and my wife was using a lot of water but I don't think enough to drain the well.

When it rains it pours my Central AC went out as well. Probably an evaporator coil leak.

I'm fairly competent in repair work but mostly electrical and I have very little plumbing experience. If someone can give me an idea where to start looking I'll appreciate it.

First thing you should do is get anew pressure gauge. If that gauge is correct at 60 PSI you should have lots of water and pressure. If not there is probably a valve closed or some other restriction (filter) going to the house.

If the pressure is not really 60 but much lower, you may have a hole in the pipe or a pump problem.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the gauge is broken. I connected a hose to the Expansion tank valve and not much water came out. I'm pretty sure either the well pump or wiring has failed. I checked power at the pressure switch and found 240 volts. I disconnected the well pump and checked continuity across the two leads. The reading was pretty much an open. Last time I replaced the well pump the real reason I had no water is the wiring broke in the well. I replaced the well pump because it was noisy and to prevent another costly repair. The guys replacing the pump did a good job securing the wire to the hose but it might have broke again. I would have thought I would get more then 7 years from the last replacement.:(

First, do you have water in the well?

Second. Disconnect the wires and check for continuity across black and yellow wires if its a 3 wire pump, and black and red if its a 2 wire pump. If you dont get continuity or a high resistance reading, haul the pump out, look for wire breaks.

Also engage the pressure switch and check the amperage reading.

CVonHassel, ugh. Sorry you had your water AND AC go out on you at the same time. Sounds like you have my kind of luck.

I hope you get it fixed soon.

Thanks for the help guys. It turned out to be the well pump motor was fried. Since the pump was 500 feet down I had a local contractor replace it for me.

The AC problem turned out to be an open winding on the compressor motor. I must have been hit by lightning by one of the storms that rolled through my area while on vacation. Of course since the compressor utilizes R-22 they want to replace the whole central air system; AC Compressor, Evaporator coil, and the associated piping.

Now onto my insurance adjuster and see what they have to say.

Yikes. I had the motor burn out before on my pump because the device that was supposed to pull water up into the cistern broke a wheel (it has two pulley wheels) and later died from its own burnt out motor. My next pump cracked a rod in the piston less than a month after purchase but the store refused to honor the warranty I purchased (I should have pursued it more but I was busy trying to get my water working again).

I've found that many insurance companies will refuse to pay for lightning damage, but hopefully yours will cover it.

I suggest you to call some technician, and check all the pump's wiring first. Then call your plumber if required. Don't try anything by yourself, as you might unknowingly end up damaging your pump set.

Latest posts

Back