Help! Mid - Renovation: Toilet Flange Originally Misinstalled on Concrete Slab

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmino

Reaction score
Our 1987 home is on a concrete slab.
To the best of my knowledge (based on Google search, as I have no plumbing experience), the toilet flange was installed at the wrong angle.

In the photo, the wall is parallel to the top of the pic.
2014_07_07_01_18_22.jpg

The flange is attached (one piece) to a straight pipe that is approximately 6" long measuring from the joint to the top of the flange. Closeup of product info on flange:
2014_07_07_01_19_03.jpg

The flange is not screwed or attached to the floor in any way. In fact, in an effort to unscrew the flange to possibly rotate it to the correct angle, I found there is no concrete in the area where the screws would mount. The flange is securely fastened (glued?) to the next pipe, as pulling up on the flange pulls that pipe as well. (There is about 1/8" step down between the 2 pipes).

Our previous toilet had been installed with the bolts through the 2 notches on the sides of the flange.

Also, we inadvertently discovered that our setup requires a 10 rough in toilet.

My questions are:
1. Is it advisable to replace the flange to properly reinstall, or are there other options for making this work?
2. Is there a (good) flange adapter to convert our setup from a 10 to a 12 rough in? If so, is the correct bolt placement necessary for this to works?
3. I am handy with no plumbing experience. Can I do this myself?

I am trying to wrap up this project asap and would welcome any and all suggestions. Cost is a primary concern.

Thank you!
Jenny

The closet bolts can insert into those open ended slots, that is not a problem. The flange does need to be secured to the floor. An offset flange would get you close to a 12" rough, but not all of the way. Some inspectors/jurisdictions will not allow them, as there are some very poorly designed ones on the market. Also, it is not a simple DIY job to install one.

I would try to get some concrete into the open area around the flange to seal around the pipe, get some long concrete screws to fasten the flange to the floor. These will probably catch the old concrete if you install them at an angle.

It will probably be cheaper to to buy a 10" rough toilet than to have a plumber come in to move the flange.

Good Call Phish. When I install a plastic flange ( normally ABS not PVC )
with the slots like those I prefer the slots as they are now.
Also if the pipe and flange can flex in the space around the drain in the concrete I fill the void with any quick set cement. you can even set a few brass screws though the flange into the wet cement.
Get a 10" rough Toilet. Offset flanges are just more trouble.

Reactions: SHR
I agree with the others buy a 10 inch rough toilet. Use hydralic cement to fill the gaps and bolt flange to floor

Latest posts

Back