Broken Flange riveted to concrete floor (Picture)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zedwalker

Reaction score
So the toilet in our bathroom was randomly loose one morning. Tried to tighten the two nuts on the bottom and realized the bolts were not fastened to the floor (flange). I removed the toilet and here is what I found.

The red circles are circling the broken pieces and the green arrow is pointing to what I think are rivets. How the hell am I going to fix this?:confused:

Toilet.jpg

If the closet (toilet) flange is broken, you have three choices for how to fix it. The best way is to replace the broken flange with a new one, but that requires that you glue it into the sweep or wye fitting below the floor. Many times the sweep or wye is connected close to another fitting so all of them must be replaced and that requires a big hole in the floor or ceiling below. This repair usually takes four days replacing tile floor, carpet, or sheet rock ceilings with tape and texture and paint.

The second way is to use a rubber boot in the broken flange, but that restricts the flow from your toilet and they are not water tight so you may have a future leak.

The third and best way to repair a broken closet flange is to unglue the piece of pipe the flange is connected to. The way to do this is to cut the pipe just above the sweep or wye, insert the pipe debonder tool into the cut pipe, heat it using the debonder, and remove the piece of pipe. The heating cycle for the debonding operation for 4 inch ABS pipe is about 5 minutes. Once removed, simply glue in another piece of pipe and then glue in your new flange. No holes in the floor or ceiling required. Total time about half hour.

For more detail, visit www.pipedebonder.com

Lee, no doubt that tool would work but for some strange reason, I don't see many homeowners spending a few thousand for a tool to debond a $5.00 fitting.

that looks like a steel ring flange and the closet bend looks like abs. pasco makes a repair flange that you can place over old flange and bolt it to the floor. best option is to always install a new flange. that requires a little roto hammering a flange and some concrete. best thing to do if you do not want to band aid the situation is to call a plumber

The ungluing comment supports the use of a professional plumber to repair the broken closet flange. A plumber with a debonder could properly repair a broken closet flange without cutting the floor or ceiling and not leave the homeowner with an additional job to find another contractor to repair the floor or ceiling after the plumbing job is done. A plumber who has these repair jobs every month would quickly pay for the $899 debonder and have customers with a faster and more thorough solution to a broken toilet flange.

Latest posts

Back