Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Moving laundry room to garage, Drain?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
jamescustom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moving laundry room to garage, Drain?

How do I tie my new 2" washer drain into existing 1 1/2" bathroom sink drain under bathrooms?
Can I "Y" joint into the sink drain and replace the last section of 1 1/2" with new 2"?
Or do I have to increase to 3" from "Y" to the stack?

My girlfriend and I just bought a 1968 single story home with a crawlspace and are going to remodel the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms. We are moving the laundry room from the kitchen to the garage. I have rough framed in a new 7' by 9' room in garage and raised the floor approx 6" to match floor with rest of house. All ready to start putting in the drain system.

Washer will be sitting on an exterior wall so I will vent straight up to roof. I plan to run a new 2" drain through the crawlspace across the house and tie into existing drains under the bathrooms, approx 25 ft away so I need about 8 inches of fall. There is a 1 1/2" drain from bathroom sink that is in perfect spot. I'm pretty sure I can "Y" into it easy enough and run new 2" from "Y" to stack, but will 2" be big enough, or do I need to increase it to 3" or whatever?

I've already opened the city permit and waiting for approval so it will be inspected, which is a good thing. But I want to do it right so the inspector doesn't have any problems with it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
CT18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I would check local codes in your area. Where i am washer box needs to tie into 3" stack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
journeyman
the professional

Liked 70 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You cant run a bigger drain to a smaller on. If you are going to run 2 inch which is code then it needs to tie into a 3 or 4 inch drain

Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 481 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 643

I don't know Washington state code, but here you need a 3" stack or branch drain to attach the laundry drain into.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-630-5673

Zanne Likes This 
Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #5
jamescustom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, that makes sense. I don't want to cut into the 3" stack and replace the 3"x3"x2"x1 1/2" Tee (see attached pic) that is there because I'm not sure I have the space to do it, even if I use a 3" banded coupler.

So my next idea is to run my new 2" drain past the big Tee and "Y" into the 2" drain on the other side that is coming from the kitchen. Basically making my drain make a 180 deg turn back into the big Tee (see attached sketches)

I think I can still get the slope I need but just barely. Is this acceptable?

3 inch tee drain.jpg   20140609_223040.jpg   20140609_223054.jpg  

Last edited by jamescustom; 06-10-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: picture of sketches were not readable
Zanne Likes This 
Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
jamescustom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry pictures got turned upside down and are not very good quality but hopefully I am getting the idea across. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
CT18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

i believe there is a max distance that 2" can be run. You will have to check your code. I have been doing industrial large commercial for many years now so i am not sure.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
jamescustom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what the max distance is but i called a local plumbing company and they said 25 ft was ok. Haven't been able to verify that with inspector yet.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
breid1903

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

if you are going to get a permit, well get it. then call for an inspection and ask what they want. what they want is what they get. since you are asking us how to do it, may guess is the you haven't meet the inspect.

if not permitted, well do what you want. if the drain is not proper sometimes they will NOT handle some of the newer washing machines. since you putting this in the garage, well if it pucks it's in the garage. no harm, no foul.

peaceup raz

Old 06-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
mfg2414

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this is a little late but the information will be good. The thought is what might happen if there were a clog. It has always been my practice to keep the washer on its own line. If there were to be any clog the washer has the power, if the drain line is snug in the standing tube, to push that water back into the sink. If it were a dishwasher that is not very much water. In a top loader they can hold as much as 25 gallons. Way more then most sinks can handle. If you have no choice and the sink must be in the line be sure to put in a back-flow trap so this can not happen in your house.

Quick Reply