Leaking bathroom Flick mixer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenny

Reaction score
I've been learning a bit lately cause some things are slowly starting to fail after some wear an tear. My latest issue is my bathroom flick mixer tap. It has a fairly fast drip.
I've isolated it to be the hot water side only. If I isolate the hot water tap then the dripping stops.
From lots of googling and Youtube watching, the fix is to replace the cartridge.
So I bought a new cartridge, same problem. I thought maybe the cartridge I bought was faulty, so I bought another one, same problem. Lucky they are only $10.
As another test, I left the cartridge out and turned the water supply back on very slowly. I then put my finger over the hole to fully seal the hole that feeds the faucet, there's still a leak.
So there must be an issue deeper down.
From previously pulling apart a kitchen flick mixer, I know there are a couple of O-rings around the spare that swivels left/right. So I'm guessing maybe one of those O-rings could be faulty?
If I turn the cold water on full blast I do get a bit of a leak around the joins. HOw generic would those o-rings be? I don't want to pull it part further to find that I need to get special o-rings and I make the whole thing leak worse.
Is it possible to get a leak out of the end of a tap and the cartridge is not to blame? If so, all of the Youtube clips are leaving out another possibility :)

Thanks

Here's a link of my tap:

http://look.imaxia.com.au/mixers/MBM-C.html

From there if you click on Spare Parts....
I have remove parts 1,2,3 and replaced part 4.
I wasn't able to remove part 5.
I'm hoping I can work from the bottom up to get to the O ring seals (part/s 6)

Does anyone have a solution?

Could be excessive water pressure or faulty o-rings. I would not think the o-rings would be custom, probably available at most stores that sell o-rings. Either way, hard to tell without a picture or video of what is occurring.

I have bought a new set of o-rings so just need to find time to take the tap fully off. If that doesnt fix it I cant see what else it could be.. the rest is all metal. I posted a link above which shows the tap parts

I pulled the tap apart, I found a very small hole in the main shaft of the tap (see attached pictures)... Don't know how this has suddenly happened. Does the metal in taps deteriorate over time??
I don't know how much luck I'll have going back to the manufacturer since its 7 years old. I never expected it to be the actual metal that would have been the problem.
This has been a learning curve for me anyway :)

20140510_215535.jpg

WholeInTap.jpg

Back