Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Physically impossible problem!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Huyt

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Physically impossible problem!

I am beaten. Here are the facts:
My NJ home had an extra bathroom added before I bought it. In this bathroom are twin basins and a tub/shower. All of the fixtures are made up of two faucets and a spout, so no mixer valves.
When we bought the house the shower was fine. Then it started intermittently running cold on people when other faucets still produced hot water.
Since then the problem has become permanent.
Right now the water from that shower/tub comes out at 100 degrees with just the hot faucet open. The water from the hot basin faucets in that same room produce hot water at 130 degrees.
I assume that somehow, somewhere cold water is entering the pipe supplying hot water to that bath. I have turned off the water to the kitchen mixer tap. No help. In the master bathroom I have done the same to the mixer taps in the basins. No help. I have turned the master shower mixer to fully cold, but can't find a way of actually isolating that valve.
Is there a way I could isolate that mixer by taking off the face plate?
BUT I assume that the new bathroom shower/bath and basins are all supplied by the same line. So if cold water is reaching the hot-water pipe to the bath why is the hot water in the basins not affected?
All the hot water comes from one gas-powered unit in the basement.
Only that one tub/shower is affected.
Should I be calling an exorcist?
Cheers
Huyt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
phishfood
PLF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 547 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 733

I believe that it has been a LONG time since tub/shower valves that aren't pressure balanced have been legal to install. Can you post a picture of your valve?

Regarding the basins not being affected, the tub valve usually pulls much more water than does the lavatory faucet, so it will usually show a cross over problem before a sink faucet will.

Lake County, Florida plumber
Springtime Plumbing Services, LLC
License #11067533
352-433-1912

People Like This 
Old 03-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Huyt

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dear Phish
Here's the shower.
What other possible causes of crossover problems are there?
Thanks
Huyt

Shower.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
SHR

Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyt View Post
All of the fixtures are made up of two faucets and a spout, so no mixer valves.

Right now the water from that shower/tub comes out at 100 degrees with just the hot faucet open. The water from the hot basin faucets in that same room produce hot water at 130 degrees.
Ahh, the mixing valve is right there on the shower wall in your picture. It seems you have a very common, easy to solve issue. Remove the mixing/pressure balancing cartridge from behind the faucet handle on the right (I think it should be bottom) in the picture. Bring the cartridge to your plumbing supply store and match it up to a new cartridge. If you can identify the brand, you should be able to order one free from your manufacturer. Replace the cartridge and I bet your problem will be solved.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
wood4d

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

the shower valve has a temperature limiter under the handle which is removed with an allen wrench. After removing the handle the adjustment is very fast to do. The other valve looks like an on/off for the handshower.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Huyt

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I have isolated (turned off both hot and cold supply) the washing machine, mixer faucets in both master bathroom lavatories and the master shower, the kitchen mixer faucet, the third bedroom mixer shower and the laundry mixer faucet. There are no more places with mixers. All the rest are separate spigots for hot and cold water.
The problem shower/bath (which is not a mixer valve) still maxes at about 112 degrees, but the lavatory faucet next to it reaches 150 degrees.
Is there any safety valve or other such item that could be installed out of sight and which could cause this cross-over problem?
Thanks again
Huyt

Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
SHR

Liked 83 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR View Post
Ahh, the mixing valve is right there on the shower wall in your picture. It seems you have a very common, easy to solve issue. Remove the mixing/pressure balancing cartridge from behind the faucet handle on the right (I think it should be bottom) in the picture. Bring the cartridge to your plumbing supply store and match it up to a new cartridge. If you can identify the brand, you should be able to order one free from your manufacturer. Replace the cartridge and I bet your problem will be solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4d View Post
the shower valve has a temperature limiter under the handle which is removed with an allen wrench. After removing the handle the adjustment is very fast to do. The other valve looks like an on/off for the handshower.
You have been given the answers to your query. It seems you have done a lot of messing with your faucets but you do not mention trying the solutions you were provided.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Huyt

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe that have indeed done what was asked. The photo was of the master bath shower. I isolated that one (mercifully it had little shut-off screws by the valve). The shower that runs cool is not a mixer valve. So I can't change that cartridge.
Or have I misunderstood something?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
journeyman
the professional

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 77

You have to remove the handle and pull out the cartridge and install a new one that is what shr is referring to

Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
Zanne

Liked 93 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1513

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/replacing-shower-faucet-cartridge-57457.html

You can google how to replace shower lever cartridge and there are many videos to show you how to remove the lever.

Those are interesting tiles with the little symbols on them. Its neat.

Quick Reply