hammering when hot bathtub tap is closed quickly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad0102

Reaction score
i have a hot water valve on a bathtub that is at the furthese end of the water travel from the incoming source. the piping is shared in a wet wall with a shower. i am rather sure that there are no hammer arresters in the burried wall. but, i do have a bathroom sink adjacent with what is probably 5 to 6 feet of water travel away from the bathtub valve. when i open fully that hot water on the sink, i cannot make the bathtub valve hammer. so, i looks like when i releave enough hot water line pressure, it stops the hammer. question is, since i can easily get under the bath sink, if i add an arrester at that location, will it be enough to stop the hammer being instigated by the bathtub valve...?

been awhile but the problem is fixed.......did check the cartridge parts and all was fine. went ahead and spliced arresters(souix AA size mini arrester)with compression fittings into both the hot and cold under the adjacent bathroom sink(bout 4-5 linear feet from the hammering shower pipes). fixed.

Back