Help with outside faucet hose bibb vacuum breaker

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springdweller

Reaction score
I have an outside faucet on our patio that leaks from the hose bibb vacuum breaker from the best I can tell. It looks like if I can just replace the vacuum breaker, it would solve the problem, but I'm running into an issue with the execution. The breaker has what appears to be a set screw preventing it from being removed, but the screw has no threads and is simply a concave surface.

Does anyone has suggestions on how to get the screw out and thusly remove the vacuum breaker? The whole faucet is too close to the wall to really get anything in there to mess with the set screw. Any help would be appreciated. I called a plumber and he wanted $50 just to come out and another $175 to do the work...more than I want to spend replacing a $6 part.

I'm tired of using the faucet to water plants/veggies and having a pond on my stamped concrete patio after I'm done.

I attached a few pictures. First shows where the leak is coming from. The others show the set screw.

Edited for click free viewing:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had a defective vacuum breaker and ran into the same problem. Get a large pair of channel lock pliers and wrench it off. Once off simply install a new one and you are good to go. Just pay attention that you don't use so much force that you cause damage to the spigot itself. The set screw will sheer off as intended.

havasu,
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like an easy fix. I just worry that the set screw would destroy the threads between the spigot and the vacuum break. You stated that the set screw sheared. Is it different material than the vacuum break?

Thanks!

The set screw was just soft brass, and didn't cause me any problems. Take it slow and hopefully your replacement will be as simple as my replacement. If you are concerned, you could always drill out the set screw. This will ensure that no damage will be done to the threads.

Good advise. I always drill out the set screw. In situations like yours you will have the use channel locks to rotate the vacuum breaker to a position where you can access the screw stub. What part of the country are you in? The leaking problem is almost always caused by water freezing in the vacuum breaker.

Thanks for all the quick help. We're just north of Houston. The faucet has leaked since we moved in about a year ago.

Sounds like I need to unscrew the vacuum break just enough the get access to the set screw and then drill it out. I'm a little nervous about the drilling, but I'll take it slow.

Thanks again!

I have the same type unit and had to drill out the set screw, which then made removal a breeze.

Back