Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Back water valve? or snaking?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
ch00ver

Default Back water valve? or snaking?

Hello all, new to the forum would love some discussion on a question.

My basement floor drain is backing up. The municipality I live in has a program to install a back water valve so I have ordered the package. However, I'm not sure this is the issue.

I get a puddle around the drain and the issue started during a heavy storm which leads me to believe its a backflow issue. BUT, I'm thinking this may be coincidence as it usually reoccurs after doing laundry or draining the upstairs tub.

There is also a bit of an odour coming from the drain. My question, how do I know if the drain is clogged, or if it requires a back flow valve? Is the answer simply to get the drain snaked and see if the issue resolves?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
stevemachine

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Snake the drain for sure. I'd highly suggest hiring a pro because those snakes have been know to break limbs on inexperienced users. I'm willing to bet that that is your issue you have a blockage in your sewer line. Backwater valves ONLY protect you if the city backs up. Ex. Your having issues in your line but then say the city sewer gets overloaded or plugged then water will back up into adjoining properties. That normally open backwater valve will then close and protect your home.

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
ch00ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemachine View Post
Snake the drain for sure. I'd highly suggest hiring a pro because those snakes have been know to break limbs on inexperienced users. I'm willing to bet that that is your issue you have a blockage in your sewer line. Backwater valves ONLY protect you if the city backs up. Ex. Your having issues in your line but then say the city sewer gets overloaded or plugged then water will back up into adjoining properties. That normally open backwater valve will then close and protect your home.
Thanks, stevemachine.

Had it snaked today, big wad of what looked like lint from the laundry machine had been collected. Just moved in to the house, and it was built in the '40s. Quite the list of things to do, which now includes some work to update the basement plumbing to ensure smooth running in the future.

Last edited by ch00ver; 02-15-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
stevemachine

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 92

No problem thanks for letting us know the result and glad it's been cleared

Sent from my iPod touch using Plumbing Forum

If you don't learn something new everyday at work, it's not even worth going.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
plumbdrum
Banned

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Also your backwater valve should be installed on the branch of the floor drain or any other basement plumbing.If you had no basement plumbing then it may be installed on the main with proper accessibility .

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Quick Reply