Leaking tank on toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garmp

Reaction score
Please help me figure this out. I know just enough to be dangerous. The story:
My toilet tank was leaking very slowly into the bowl. About a half inch of water out of the tank and then it would refill. Amazingly loud a night. Bought replacement parts, including the $28 Kohler tank to bowl gasket and same thing. Replaced the toilet with an American Standard and was good to go for a couple of months, then the same thing. Called American Standard and they sent out a new flapper. Replaced it and the same thing They then send the whole flapper assembly, including the tank to bowl gasket. Same thing. Called American Standard for actually the third time and they said they would send out another flapper, but turn off the supply and let the tank leak for a day to see how far down it goes before stopping. Did that. It was about an inch and a half below the over flow pipe. Put blue food coloring in to check for leakage. None! It had stopped. Great!!!
Out of curiosity I poured in water up to the normal level and waited to see if die/coloring had leaked into the bowl. And waited. Nothing. I reset the intake level on the float to the original level. All is fine.

So why is it working now at the original levels?

Guess that's why I'm not a plumber.

Thank you for any thoughts.:confused:

I'm thinking that if you replaced the faulty flapper that was letting water leak into the bowl, now the tank can fill to the original level. No leak, no reason it can't fill to proper level and stay there.

But after turning the supply off and replacing nothing, the leak stopped. Put the food coloring in and seeing no seepage and sitting a day, returned the float to the original position and PRESTO! No leaks. How? Why?:confused:

Back