Chilipepper CP-2011 hot water demand pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clif

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this hot water recirc pump before?

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/specs-CP2011.htm

Just ordered one, to reduce the wait time it takes for hot water to get to my kitchen sink & dishwasher. Supposed to recirculate water from the hot water line to the cold until the line temperature hits a setpoint (96 degrees I think). The old pump had mixed reviews online but supposedly this newer replacement fixed all the complaints the old one had (according to the manufacturer).

I am about to do the same thing and would love some feedback first. Even if no one else posts, would you please let us know what you think, Clif? Like you, I'm concerned about it's reliability, but also the noise it makes. One video on YouTube showed one in operation and it was pretty loud. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure these chilipepper pumps are made in China and not made to the same standards as grundfos. I've priced some Grundfos booster pumps and they're quite pricey but likely worth it. This Chilipepper pump cost me $175 + around $18 shipping UPS ground. 5 Year Prorated (eew) warranty. 30 day satisfaction guarantee according to the company you can return it for a full refund during that time. 30 days doesn't prove it won't leak or crap out over time, but I guess if it's roaring load enough to make the dogs bark I'll send er back in.

It's a centrifugal pump, vs. a gear pump which should be quieter, and possibly more efficient. the youtube video you watched may have been one I watched which featured the 6000 model which is a gear pump. This 2011 model is new, and supposedly a decent improvement over the 6000.

My main concern is it's longevity, and yes noise also. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow - I'll also have to make a trip to the hardware store for some T adapters and such to make the connections. I'll post back on here once it's installed and up and running. Maybe even a video if I can figure that one out :)

Also on the Grundfos pump brand, this is what I found as far as a similar pump... doesn't specify the cost, only a link to locate a local dealer. In my area it is these guys http://www.ahdeveney.com/
I'll email them for a price on the pump and let you guys know just for info purposes. This system however is somewhat different, as it requires a dedicated hot water return line and doesn't pump into the cold line, which means most likely the pump is off and on all day to maintain a minimum line temperature. And this makes me wonder how much electricity and hot water is used vs. the chilipepper setup which only comes on via push button as you want it. Your hot water heater would certainly work a little harder since it's maintaining hot water in the entire line all day / night.

Last edited:
I purchased a Grundos recirc pump at, of all places, Costco, a few years ago. it had a 24 hour timer with 15 minute increments, so it would pump hot water throughout the system only at the necessary times, and it had a cold water return. it was very economical to run, no buttons to push, and I loved it until I purchased a tankless hot water heater with the recirc system built into it.

I purchased a Grundos recirc pump at, of all places, Costco, a few years ago. it had a 24 hour timer with 15 minute increments, so it would pump hot water throughout the system only at the necessary times, and it had a cold water return. it was very economical to run, no buttons to push, and I loved it until I purchased a tankless hot water heater with the recirc system built into it.

Sounds like a good system. I hope the one I bought turns out to be OK.

What did that Grundos cost if you don't mind me asking?

Well folks, strike one I guess. Pump arrived yesterday, this morning went buy a couple flex hoses to install it. Finished making all the necessary connections, bled air from the lines, etc as per the included instructions (wasn't hard considering I'm not a plumber) and nothing. Figured the switch could be bad, but even after shorting the end contacts still nothing. Rechecked everything on it and it still won't start.
Left a message on the company's answering machine since they don't open until 10am, Pacific Time which is 2 hours behind where I am (Central). Hopefully they'll return my call if not I'll be on the horn with them. Sounds like I got a dud, will let you guys know how the company handles this. Pump appeared to be brand new, not sure what's up. It comes partially filled with water (supposedly to assist in removing air from the pump during priming). I take it they don't function check prior to shipment.

This is funny, I feel like an idiot. After speaking on the phone with the rep, she mentioned about running an extension cord to verify it isn't the outlet that's bad. I realized immediately the outlet is on a switch (DOH!) for the garbage disposal unit under the sink, so the pump worked fine after plugging it up to a constantly on outlet. Just going to have to get the under the sink outlet wired up differently I suppose. The pump is a little loud, but I have tried it inside the included plastic enclosure, and they recommend putting the whole thing in the foam box packing material it came with to further dampen the sound.

The pump seemed to work good once I pressed the button. It only ran for about 20-30 seconds tops and I had hot water at the faucet. Normally this sink takes a couple minutes to warm up when it's cold out.

UPDATE:
After putting the pump in the plastic enclosure and putting that in the foam box, and closing the cabinet door best I could with an extension cord run into it, the pump ran a good bit quieter. Sounds roughly the volume of one of those 100 watt hand held mixer appliances. Not bad.

Last edited:
Thank you, Clif. So, it seems to work as advertised, is a bit noisy but tolerable. I guess the only question I have left is the wear and tear on the pipes. I have read some plumbers saying that the speed that this thing works at I very hard on the pipes and will lead to leaks way before normal pipes might leak. I guess there's no way to test that except wait and see! Well, I might give it a go ... the wife is getting tired of waiting 2 minutes for hot water in the kitchen!

Thank you, Clif. So, it seems to work as advertised, is a bit noisy but tolerable. I guess the only question I have left is the wear and tear on the pipes. I have read some plumbers saying that the speed that this thing works at I very hard on the pipes and will lead to leaks way before normal pipes might leak. I guess there's no way to test that except wait and see! Well, I might give it a go ... the wife is getting tired of waiting 2 minutes for hot water in the kitchen!

Well so far so good, nothing leaking yet. Lets hope things stay that way. My wife likes it and uses it actually. She too hates waiting for several minutes to get hot water. She didn't complain about the noise, I may have overstated to her that it might be loud, but once under the cabinet and set up in the two boxes they provide, it's really not that bad, considering it only has to run it for 20-30 seconds before it shuts itself off. I'm impressed with it and would recommend this system to others. Hopefully the pump lasts for a long time.

Excellent! Thank you for sharing on this - there's not much "out there" about this product from actual users.

I was doing some research on my Chilipepper and ran across this forum. I thought you'd like to hear my input.

I got my first Chilipepper CP2011 on Jan 2013. I immediately ran into a problem. The sensitivity control (SC) didn't seem to work. I would turn it clockwise a little bit and the pump would run forever. Turn it CC just a bit and it would run half a second (Chilipepper calls this a "JOG").

So I called them and they had me return it. A couple of weeks later I got my second pump. I crossed my fingers. After the install I was pleasantly surprised when it seemed to work. I tweaked the SC so just a little warm water would end up in the cold side.

Well, one year later and it has stopped running correctly. Even with the SC turned all the way clockwise the pump does not run long enough. I unplugged the wire running from the thermosensor (Is that the right term?) and the pump wants to run forever so I think that might be the problem. The thermosensor is on the inlet of the pump and is supposed to shut the pump off when the hot water arrives.

My opinion? The Chilipepper is a great idea but this unit, made in China, does not seem very robust. I feel an appliance like this should last at least 5 years. I would really like 10 years.

Last edited:
That is great feedback, Glasspiolot - thank you. I believe it comes with a 5-year warranty. While I am sorry you are going to have to use it (again!), it will be a good test to see how well they honor that, both in speed and cost. Do you have to pay any shipping? Do you have to send it back before they send you a new one? Do they do it promptly? There isn't a lot of user experience feedback on the Internet about it, so thank you again for documenting whatever you find out here, for many people may benefit from it!

The don't honor warranty they just charge you more money, Piss Poor China Crap, They don't last, will leak and ruin / mold your cabinet. Spend your 200.00 elsewhere I had both versions.

Well, here it is 3 months later and my CP pump seems to be working better. The only thing I can think of is, it is now the air conditioning season here in hot NC and the humidity is different.

I'm a tinkerer and I did carefully disassemble the circuit board a few weeks ago but when I put it back together it did the same thing. Instead of running long enough to bring the hot H2O to the fixture, it just "jogged". This is a term Chilipepper uses in the instructions and it means "runs half a second". (It normally takes 30 seconds to bring the hot water to my lav faucet.)

If it quits working again I'll come back here and report!

Edit: I did not "disassemble" the board! I meant to say I took the parts out of the pump case and I sprayed some electronics cleaner on it.

Last edited:
Just an update, My CP is back to just running a second or two. I'm disappointed this thing didn't last more than a year.

Years ago, I installed a ChiliPepper 6000! It failed (water intrusion) after maybe 18 months, but I liked it, so I replaced it--don't remember if I paid anything--didn't mind--innovative, small company is worth a little 'understanding'. I LOVE IT! The 'noise' lets me know the system is running and when it stops. I get hot water in less than a minute anywhere in the house. I was going to install extra switches, but too lazy to run the wire and don't mind stopping to press the button under the kitchen sink (in side mount electrical box)--just open the cabinet, press the button and start the dishwasher, wash your hands, go take a shower, etc. I start my washing machine on 'Warm', then switch to 'Cold' if I'm running work clothes and headed for the shower--to save the CP6000. Haven't had another problem in 6 years! Much better than timer systems! In Winter I can circulate water periodically (just before I go to bed, wish I could set the dishwasher to start at 3 or 4am) when temps drop to teens and below--might put a timer or timer outside thermostat to cycle when freeze threat exists!

If anyone would like to know more about a great hot water recirculating pump made in the USA, you can go to moderator note; links not allowed in posts

These pumps are solid, quiet (some say too quiet) and long lasting. The first pump installed over 20 years ago is still running today.

Customer service is great and easy to work with.

Free shipping.

On-demand systems are the way to go. Do not get the timer-based systems. Those will waste electricity/gas as it turns on at the set times no matter what. If you are on vacation and/or no one is home, it will still go on unless you remember to turn the pump off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our upstairs bathroom is diagonally opposite the downstairs location of our hot water heater. We have had a chili pepper for over 10 years. The first unit developed a problem after a few years and I got a replacement at a discount. Later I bought one for the downstairs sink, mainly for hot water to the dishwasher. I like that they are so easy to install and use. Just plug it in and hook up the hoses. We have the type with the button to push. We don't send any cold water down the drain waiting for hot water.

Latest posts

Back