No plunger for low - flow toilets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw9

Reaction score
Why has no one designed a plunger for the recent low-flow toilets with a vagina-shaped opening at the bottom of the bowl? The round traditional ones don't work.

If you look at most toilets you'll see that the transition from bowl to trapway isn't round like a plunger anyways. What is important is that the plunger is made of a slightly flexible rubber, soft enough to get a close but not perfect seal and rigid enough to provide a good push while quickly bouncing back to its original shape for firm, consecutive plunges.
This isn't intended to be a sarcastic reply to the 'vagina' reference, this is just an observation from seeing so many companies trying to improve on a simple design in an attempt to reinvent the wheel.

I understand that the traditional transition designs weren't perfectly round, but they were sufficiently so, that any plunger would work. My low-flow Kohler is so far from round, (the length of the opening is about four times the width) that no round plunger, however pliable, will work.

I'm quite surprised that there isn't a substantial outcry about this. I haven't been successful with a closet auger, and I even tried the "bellows" type on top of the seat to clear a blockage with no success.

I succeeded once with abruptly dashing about three gallons of water from a bucket into the toilet: and another time when that failed too, I waited over night with the bowl full and just before calling a plumber I tried one more time to flush, and it cleared.

It still seems to me that an elongated plunger would be a logical solution. Maybe most folks don't have clogs any more, or are happy to call a professional first thing...

I believe it is time to get to the root of the problem on these clogs. Exactly why is your toilet clogging? Do you have sub-standard waste drains? I know my new Kohler toilet has two flush settings. Push down quickly for # 1, and push and hold down for # 2. Many folks don't realize this itself is another water saving device which is built into the toilet. With a good quality toilet, clogs are non-existent.

1. Design new plunger
2. Prototype and patent
3. Go on Shark Tank and sell the idea
4. Become millionaire
5. Pay somebody else to plunge toilets

See, I got it all figured out and I only charge 10% for being the 'Idea-Man'.:D

Back