Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Showers and Tubs > Help Removing/Changing Cast Iron Shower Drain Flange

Old 12-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
applejack

Default Help Removing/Changing Cast Iron Shower Drain Flange

We are redoing the master shower in our newly moved into 1964 built house thanks to a shower pan leak. We've already ripped up everything down to the slab and have come across this drain flange that I don't know what to do with. We are planning to use a "ShowerSlope" by Custom Building Products for the pan and it is supposed to come with a new drain assembly but I believe the existing drain pipe is too tall for it to be flush.

What needs to be done to the old drain so that the new one will fit with our pan and not leak?

I have attached photos of what we're dealing with. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. We are a fairly decent DIY couple so if we can do this ourselves it would really help our already surpassed budget.

Thanks!

CIMG0856.jpg   CIMG0857.jpg   CIMG0858.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 227 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 163

If you have gone that far why not break up the floor and remove as much of the cast iron as possible or at least remove the cast iron P-trap.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
applejack

Well, I really hope all that isn't necessary just to get the new drain on. As I said, we've already gone way over budget for the house and now we're having to go back and pay to fix things that were already paid for.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
johnjh2o

Liked 456 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Do as IFIXH2O suggested. If you don't do a proper job know it will cost you even more to repair it after the shower is finished.

John

phishfood Likes This 

Quick Reply