Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > How connect air to 1 inch union irrigation pipe

Old 10-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Mikegp12

Likes Given: 2

Default How connect air to 1 inch union irrigation pipe

I have removed my backflow device for the winter and am installing unions for easy removal. Now I need to know how I can connect air compressor to the union (male end) for blow out. It is a 1 inch union.

I am trying to find a way to not blow through the backflow because I have had to replace the seals and gaskets twice in 4 years and suspect the air caused this.

image.jpg  

Last edited by Mikegp12; 10-22-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
chukar

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

If your piping is PVC for the irrigation, I installed a tee after my RPBA that has a shut off valve with a male threaded plug in it most of the year, i simple take the plug out put in a brass 1" x 3/8" bushing then I can connect directly to my air hose for my compressor. Allows me easy hook up, also if I want in the future gives me a place to add chemicals for say my lawn.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Mikegp12

Thanks Chukar, but this is going on copper pipe.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
chukar

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Now that you posted a pic in the other thread it's even easier put the union where it leaves the wall, unthread the assembly, take it out and screw on a 1" coupling then use your bushing to attach your air system.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
johnjh2o

Liked 456 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukar View Post
Now that you posted a pic in the other thread it's even easier put the union where it leaves the wall, unthread the assembly, take it out and screw on a 1" coupling then use your bushing to attach your air system.
That is not a 1" pipe thread. It' where the nut that connects the two union halfs together. The size varies depending on manufacture. But in any case it isn't a standard pipe thread.

John

Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Mikegp12

After all the time I have put into searching for the right fittings maybe I should just do this. I was hoping to avoid any extra soldering but winter is fast approaching.

FH11JUN_ADDFAU_03.JPG  

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 227 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegp12 View Post
After all the time I have put into searching for the right fittings maybe I should just do this. I was hoping to avoid any extra soldering but winter is fast approaching.
You can do that, but you would have to leave the backflow in place (or find another way to block the union you just installed) and shut the valve off to the backflow in order to blow your sprinkler system out. Just install that set-up on the piping on the backside of the backflow and shut the backflow backside valve off to blow out system and prevent air from flowing through backflow. Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply