Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Pumps and Wells > goulds HSC20 underwater. Is it damaged?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
chaseme5

Default goulds HSC20 underwater. Is it damaged?

Last night our 5000 gal tank overflowed. It flooded an area that housed an goulds HSC20 3 ph booster pump. The pump was under 5 ft of water for some time. At least a couple of hours. There are no fuses blown. The model of HSC20 we have is the totally enclosed version I think.

What will have to be replaced on the pump? If it runs will the motor bearings need replacement.

We have a Danfoss VFD and I think it cut power to the pump because no blown fuses were found. The drive was in fault mode. I turned off power to the system.

Last edited by chaseme5; 09-15-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 61 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If it's TEFC, and real tight water shouldn't have gotten in. But if it did, the bearings won't last long at all. If it's ODP, you will have to change then very soon. Electrically, it shouldn't hurt it at all other than corrosion on start points and capacitor connectors. I think you said it was 3 phase, if so there is no points or capacitor.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
chaseme5

How will I know the bearings will need replacement? Will the motor make any noises?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 61 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Oh yeah, it will be screaming if the grease got washed out of them.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
chiraldude
Hardcore DYI-er

I bought a house with a jet pump in the basement. It had been under water for a couple of months. It ran for quite some time actually but I had to replace it because it made so much noise it was unbearable.
Bottom line is that, if the bearings start to fail, you will hear it. It will probably fail slowly, getting louder and louder before it finally seizes.

Quick Reply