Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Unusual pex fitting

Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
danplumber

Default Unusual pex fitting

I am doing some plumbing on my house and am using pex b. In my upstairs, before we moved in, the former home owner had to hire a plumber to install pex to the old copper because there was a leak. I am now needing to connect my pex to this other pex. However, I am not sure if this will be okay, as this pex seems different than my new pex. It seems to have a metal liner, leading me to believe it might be pex-al-pex. Is this correct? Also, I am using the crimping method for my pex. This old pex also had a different looking fitting that I have never seen before, but it also had a crimp ring on it, leading me to believe it might be okay to use regular pex crimp fittings with it. It is in the picture below. Here are my questions:

1. Would it be safe to use regular pex crimp fittings with this original pex that was already in the house, or do I need to find a special fitting to connect my new pex with this other pex.

2. What kind of fitting is in the picture below that was on this other pex that was already in the house?

3. What kind of pex is this original pex (also in the picture)? It was apparently made by a company called PlumbBetter, but that is all I can see on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 463 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 328

The fitting looks the same other than the O ring. Did you check the outside diameter of the fitting compared to other pex fittings?

John

Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
danplumber

The outside diameters are the same. I went to a local plumbing outlet store and talked with some plumbers, and they suggested I go ahead and try it. Today, I went ahead and crimped my connection to the original pex, and it is working just fine. I will be keeping an eye on it for the next few days though.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
camaroderrick73

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Plumb better inc is no longer in the industry. Fitting kinda look like kitec fitting missing a o ring.

You can always shark bite it. I don't like to use them . But they are UPC certified in wall and underground.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
camaroderrick73

Shoot some pics and send them our way

Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
camaroderrick73

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroderrick73
Plumb better inc is no longer in the industry. Fitting kinda look like kitec fitting missing a o ring.

You can always shark bite it. I don't like to use them . But they are UPC certified in wall and underground.
Just for the record, you can not shark bite kitec. This is the only pipe I've ever came across that will leak later if you attempt to shark bite it.

Just replumb the house...

Quick Reply