Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Toilet Height Levels

Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Iculus
Young Squire

Likes Given: 1

Default Toilet Height Levels

I've seen toilets labeled "comfort height" and "normal height" toilets, does anybody know if there is some kind of federal regulation or if it's only a way of distinguishing different toilet heights?

Web Content Writer
The Bath Outlet

Last edited by Iculus; 07-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Zanne

Liked 93 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1518

Standard toilets have a bowl rim between 14 to 16 inches high (from the finished floor).
"Comfort height" is another term for ADA compliant toilets. They are 16.5 to 18 inches from the finished floor. They are supposed to be easier for people in wheelchairs to get on and off of. They are also easier for people who have knee or leg problems. I have a hard time getting up from low seats so I prefer ADA height. Shorter people may not like the taller toilets though. (For the record, I'm 5'6" and prefer "comfort height"-- My toilet is a Toto Drake which is about 17.25 inches high).

While I do not know if standard height is necessarily regulated federally, the ADA height ones are regulated because they have to be within the aforementioned range to meet the ADA standards.

Anyone know the height range for toilets for children? I know Gerber makes a toilet for toddlers that is very short.

I hope this was helpful. If I was wrong on anything, hopefully one of the experts can correct me and elaborate.

Last edited by Zanne; 07-16-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: redundancy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply