Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Septic Tanks > Septic Drainfield Question

Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
pmcguire4

Default Septic Drainfield Question

I am new to this forum and would like to get some expert advice. If I do not explain things accurately, please forgive me. I just recently had my drain field replaced. My drain field is the Bed type drain field. In my contract, the contractor stated that he would put Fiber Fabric on top of the stone before covering up with dirt. Instead of using the Fiber Fabric, which he called out in the contract, the contractor used Hay instead.

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both the Hay and the Fiber Fabric? How long does the Hay last? How long does the Fiber Fabric last. Which one is better?

Thank You in advance,

Pat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 61 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm not a septic guy, but I would have to believe the hay was cheaper by far than the fiber fabric. That and I've never heard of anyone using hay in a drain field.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
johnjh2o

Liked 456 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Hay was commonplace years ago. Fabric in now being used but I can't say if it's better or not. But I do know many systems were installed and approved using straw. Straw bales were also used to protect wetlands during construction. That too has been replaced with fabric.

John

Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
pmcguire4

Default Septic Drainfield Question

Thanks Speedbump and Johnjh20 for your response. The hay was used as a barrier between the gravel and the soil. What I am really looking for is someone who does this type of work and knows the advantages and disadvantages of both of these materials. Also how long they will last before they decay.

I do know the hay does not last very long before it decays because it has only been 6 months and the hay has already decayed.

Again, thanks for both of the responses.

Pat

Quick Reply