Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Septic Tanks > Mysterious Object Near Site of Old Septic Tank

Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Polter91

Default Mysterious Object Near Site of Old Septic Tank

My parents bought their house back in 1995 and at some point, a new septic tank was put in, but in an area much farther away from the house. The old septic tank was never removed; they just left it there. Anyways, I know nothing about septic tanks or plumbing and I only joined this forum to ask this one question, sounds crazy, but I was curious. Anyways, right next to the house, I noticed once, some kind of object protruding out of the dirt; it's round, and whatever it is, only the rim was on the surface, and it seemed to be filled with dirt. At first, I always ignored it, thinking it was a tree root because a large tree used to sit next to the house. I realize one has to be careful when digging very close to a house, because for one, no one has a clue what kinds of things are under the ground; wouldn't want to bust some pipe or cut some cable. Anyways, I decided I would dig this object out but it seems pretty deep and because I have no idea what it is, I don't want to do something I would regret, so I left it in the ground and took some pictures and then buried the dirt back around it. I am not even sure what it's made of, it kind of looks like really old wood, but then again, this weird black crust comes off the side of it. So I thought it could be like a really old cast iron pipe, though the material looks nothing iron. I have attached a few pictures. I'd really appreciate any reply!

The UPLOADING PICTURES does NOT work. So if anyone wants pictures, just send an email to [we don't do it this way], and if you can post them, please do.

Last edited by havasu; 04-11-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 586 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 111

The uploading picture function does work. Rather than tying up the experts trying to receive a picture from you, try it once again or let me know via PM which photo source (photobucket, etc) you are using, and I will pull the picture for you.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 625 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Is it within a foot or two of the house? It may be a clean out?

Quick Reply