Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Pumps and Wells > Sudden Drop in Pressure before Pump comes on

Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
fitch

Default Sudden Drop in Pressure before Pump comes on

Hello All,
I have just installed a new pressure tank and tank tee, and I am now having a (hopefully) minor issue.

When the pressure drops from water usage there is a small lag where it will suddenly drop 10-15psi below the cut-in pressure as the pump is kicking on.

I believe that it is just because I have my cut-in pressure too high (or equivalently my tank pressure is too low - needs a little additional air) but before I either adjusted to Pressure Switch slightly lower (more water volume between cycles = longer pumping cycles, at a slightly lower pressure) or adjusted my tank bladder slightly higher (slightly higher system pressure - slightly reduced water volume between cycles = shorter pumping cycles) I wanted to make sure that I was thinking this through correctly.

Please let me know that I am thinking this through correctly, and offer any helpful advice.

Cheers,
Fitch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
waterwelldude
Water well,and septic guy

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your cut in pressure is.....say, 30psi The pressure in the bladder tank should be 27psi.
You can check this by turning off the pump, drain the pressure off the tank, then check the psi in the tank with a tire gauge.

Edit Signature

Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Valveman
Pump Controls Tech

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

In other words you probably have too much air in the tank for that pressure switch setting.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
fitch

Thanks Valveman that is what I wanted to know. Opposite of what I was thinking.
Cheers,
Fitch

Quick Reply