The earth tried to eat me today.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
So I am diggin to replace a Grease Interceptor and sewer line at a grocery store and the ground is saturated. Can't dig a foot without it caving in. This trench is 8' deep and I have to go another couple feet.

I will take some more pictures throughout the week of this project. The grease interceptor pit is gonna be about 15' deep.

IMG_20130225_140009.jpg

IMG_20130225_140019.jpg

That's interesting never saw a grease interceptor underground, all of the ones up here are like in place of a p trap or recessed into the ground of the kitchen floor. Is that pretty common in Cali?

It is a 1500 gallon concrete structure very similar to an older concrete septic tank. Measures 6' wide x 11' long x 6' deep and then has a smaller sample box like a small manhole at the end.

No Ground, don't eat Chris!

i won in the battle of earth today, i will get a couple pics up later.

Didn't work on that trench today, figured I would let it dry out for a day or two.

Worked on the building side connection and much better soil. The hole I have there is 10' deep and can fit a small car in it if needed. Not the best pics but you can kinda see. The old tank sank several inches and broke the pipe coming in and out of the box.

IMG_20130226_110559.jpg

IMG_20130226_154014.jpg

Yeah I wouldn't be walking around out there. Wet dirt is a dangerous thing.

Today I dug a hole 10' wide by 16' long and 13' deep. gonna finish prepping it tomorrow for my box that is getting delivered at 1pm

IMG_20130227_151529.jpg

IMG_20130227_154344.jpg

One of our local lakes is all crushed granite and the shoreline changes so much huge areas of swamp form and it's sand, mud and dead plants. I've stepped into what I thought was solid ground only for my leg to sink past my knees. Pretty terrifying esp. when no one is around.

When I was a kid we would get ourselves stuck in it on purpose. My Brother is five years younger than me and I was always having to get him out of it.

Austin said:
When I was a kid we would get ourselves stuck in it on purpose. My Brother is five years younger than me and I was always having to get him out of it.

Did you push him in though? Lol

No that was about 15 minutes away at the Perris skydive. Across the street from my rental yard.

Did you push him in though? Lol

My brother is/was far more adventurous that I am. He would go out much further.

Talking to him about it he says "I always had you to get me out of trouble.", which is odd considering I didn't trust myself to get me out of trouble.

Being an older brother is a weird thing in retrospect.

Did you watch that poor Marine fall to his death yesterday when the chute didn't open?

That's horrible. Link to the story?

Back