Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Water Heaters and Softeners > Water Heater Insufficient

Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
lemmon

Likes Given: 1

Default Water Heater Insufficient

I have a 5 yo Kenmore water heater hydrosense 50 gal 153334530
It was fine at first now it seems I get a shower and half out of it and it runs out of hot......it seems I have 25 gal water heater.
I am considering replacing with a 75 gal
I have 2 kids and my wife and they all like 20-30 minute showers
in the am when everyone is getting ready for the day the 3rd person in gets a COLD shower
I've been told it sounds like a dip tube issue but since I hard piped it I am thinking if I pull it out it would make more sense just to replace it
Opinions, Insights ............ any help
I talked to Kenmore about 12 year warranty and they say leaks are covered. parts only for 3 years
thanks for any help
lemmon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 456 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 316

You can try turning the temperature up a little, that may help. But two 30 min showers back to back is asking a lot for a heater to keep up with.

John

Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 551 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I would try a simpler approach. Drain your tank and remove any sediment from the tank then replace your shower heads with ultra low flow heads.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
TerisRiel

Likes Given: 2

Even simpler approach: Tell your family not to take long showers -- when the hot water is gone, it's gone.

Low flow shower heads will help, but cannot compensate for irresponsible user behavior.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Caduceus

Liked 225 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Advice is free, so heck...I'll chime in.
It does sound like a dip tube issue. Draining your tank to remove sediment is a great maintenance habit. I do it and all kinds of stuff comes out when I do. This way the heat transfers to the water faster without the barrier of sediment to heat up first. It would save you energy and recover hot water faster.
If you want a new tank, then by all means get one. A fresh warranty is great, but another dip tube issue in 5 years is probably not covered. The effort to install a new tank is probably more than a dip tube replacement and the cost difference is obvious. A longer warranty is usually associated with having more anodes or a larger, better quality anode to protect the tank as well as a glass lining. These features do not protect the plastic dip tube from break down.
Additionally, my field and personal experience tells me that what is perceived as a 20-30 minute shower is actually more like 10-15 minutes of water use time and any additional time is drying off, brushing hair, etc. My 40 gallon tank does just fine with my family of four so if you want a larger tank than 50 gallons you may be heating more water than you actually need.
Hope this info helps you to make a decision on your next move.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
lemmon

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to install a new tank. I went with a 75 gal Bradford White...my decision was based on a few different things. So far results are positive. The dip tube on the old tank was in fine condition. May have been another issue...I dont know.
I do have a new question related to the flue pipe. Had to change from 3" to 4" and now I am getting what I refer to a combustion smell although it may be from the tape I used to seal the joints on the flue pipe see pics....thanks again

004.jpg   005.jpg   006.jpg   007.jpg   001.jpg  

Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
johnjh2o

What is that other flue pipe going into the chimney? Hopefully is from another gas appliance.

John

Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
lemmon

John
Yes the other flue is from my boiler

Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 551 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I have never used that tape for this purpose. The sticky gum on the one side is not designed for such high heat IIRC.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
johnjh2o

Didn't know you had a boiler. If I did I would have advised you to look into a indirect water heater. It is by far the best way to make hot water and for the cheapest cost.
http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.htm
John

Quick Reply