Two month wait for a simple plumbing repair?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My cousin has a home in the mountains. There was a recent cold snap where it got below zero degrees for several days. Yep, one of his copper pipes blew out in his garage. He called a local plumber and they said there are at least 1000 homes with the same problem, and his wait time is close to two months!

I went up today and I fixed the broken line in about 5 minutes. I even received a new map gas torch with auto ignite, new solder, emery cloth, flux, DeWalt saw blades, a mini-tubing cutter, etc for my trouble. Of course, I will purchase a new plumbing bag for this equipment, so the next time he calls, I'll be ready.

I really want to purchase a house up there just for this reason. Not big jobs, just help folks who need it bad and be an honest helper. I see too many people ripping off others, and I just want to keep a little busy.

It's the mountain mentality up here. Charge a lot, take a long time and maybe you will get a good job. I grew up dealing with these guys. I did a home remodel near your cousins place a year or so ago and tried hiring a couple local contractors and most said it was to far away (30 minute drive) and the ones that showed up were top dollar. I have thought about moving back up here and opening shop but I don't like the cold that much.

I concur Chris. My realtor was also prohibited from selling homes in both Lake Arrowhead AND Big Bear because of the long 20 minute commute. Seems these folks have their own set of rules.

Back