Toilet mount after installing tile?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am installing tile in my bathroom, and need to know after adding the tile and 1/4 backer board if I need to add a spacer to the mount for the toilet. Im mainly looking to be sure it doesn't sit to low. How high should the plastic mount be from the floor the toilet sits on?

Also I wanted to replace the mount since it doesn't appear to be screwed to the floor. I can't seem to get it to come up from the floor. Does this look like one of the compression ones I just need to turn loose? By the way it seems to be in there good the whole pipe moves when you move the mount.

That looks like a glued down flange. I would just install the backer and tile, then get the fatty, extended wax ring and call it a day.

havasu said:
That looks like a glued down flange. I would just install the backer and tile, then get the fatty, extended wax ring and call it a day.

Cool how high should it normally set? I was thinking about adding a spacer then using a normal size wax ring. I also want to screw it down since it has some movement.

Typically the flange should be screwed to the sub floor. Then tile around the flange. It works best if the flange is flush with the finish floor. When this is the case a normal sized wax ring (medium) with a horn should work perfectly. When you set the toilet, if you do not feel it squish down at least a half an inch, pull the toilet and go with a jumbo ring with horn. Then test it several times before caulking it to the floor to ensure no leaks.
Note: Do not rely on the caulking to hold the toilet to the floor, that is the flange bolts job.

Oh yeah, do not use a foreign spacer to fill the gap if needed. You can get smaller wax rings without the horn to double up, just be careful you don't use to much. You can actually plug up the toilet outlet if to much wax squishes inward and blocks the hole. I have had this happen before and the toilet would plug up all the time.

I like to see a little bit of the flange above the floor. Most toilets will sit down flush with the flange sitting on top of the tile. Flush with the tile, I start to worry that you will not always get a good compression and spreading of the wax.

phishfood said:
I like to see a little bit of the flange above the floor. Most toilets will sit down flush with the flange sitting on top of the tile. Flush with the tile, I start to worry that you will not always get a good compression and spreading of the wax.

I agree. However I have done it with flange extensions and just extra thick wax rings on their own with no issues/call backs. If you can extend it definitely do it for what it's worth.

Thanks I bought a circular spacer that fits on the flange and raises it 1/8 inch above the tile. How big of a wax ring should I use with it sitting that high above the tile floor?

Most toilets that I have installed will set just fine with a standard wax ring at that height. With the wax ring at room temperature, you will feel when the bowl makes contact with the ring. That should be just before the bowl makes contact with the floor tile.

Thanks I bought a circular spacer that fits on the flange and raises it 1/8 inch above the tile. How big of a wax ring should I use with it sitting that high above the tile floor?

If you are going to use the spacer be sure to clean the toilet flange very good , after cleaning & drying toilet flange, cover flange with silicone then secure spacer on toilet flange with screws going into the floor, wipe away extra silicone. If you do not seal between the spacer and toilet flange sewer gases can get by.

Back