bathtub pop-up drain clogs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojodwolf

Reaction score
I have a bathtub drain that has a pop-up stopper... and I need to clean the hair out to often... because of how it's set up you can't put any snakes or even simple hair grabbers through the grate... a bent hanger is what I use but not the best to really get all the hair... so what can I do to improve this?

Thanks

drain.jpg

You need to go to a local big box hardware store and purchase the bathtub drain screen.

sink screen.jpg

Do they sell plugs this size so that when the wife wants a bath I don't have to screw the metal plug back on.. ?

If the plug needs to be screwed in for a bath, you could always pick up a larger screen and invert it (making a dome) around the drain to catch all the hair. Women's hair and small drains have kept plumbers in business for many years.

havasu said:
If the plug needs to be screwed in for a bath, you could always pick up a larger screen and invert it (making a dome) around the drain to catch all the hair. Women's hair and small drains have kept plumbers in business for many years.

Isn't that the truth. I can't even count how many plugged tubs I've augered full of hair

Do they sell plugs this size so that when the wife wants a bath I don't have to screw the metal plug back on.. ?

You should be able to find a old style rubber tub stopper at your local hardware store

bought a small screen insert... and by removing the screw from the old stopper that can be used when needed

I get this all the time from customers.. I've got a few old dental hooks and medical hemostats (like scissors but with teeth), 2 min and I'm done.
If all you take are showers the screen will work, after removing the hair. But I prefer using the drain as it's installed.

I bought one of those zip cleans.. but the metal grid in the drain does not let you pull the thing out without extreme force losing the hair on the way out

Latest posts

Back