Hot water heaters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vibur7391

Reaction score
Are their any signs to look for in an aging hot water heater that could indicate it is about ready to fail?

Mine dosen't seem to get as hot as it used to, and it takes longer to reheat the water. I have no "hard proof" about these symptoms, it just "feels" that way.

The water heater is between 15 and 18 years old, best I can remember.

Thanks!

Is the heater gas or electric? If it's electric then you may need thermostats or elements. But if the heater is the age you say it is the wiser decision may be to replace it.

John

Last edited:
It is a gas heater. If I replace it, I am thinking about going with a tankless system. Any opinions?

Any idea (on average) how much extra it would be to install a tankless over a tanked system?

Age of heater depends on how many people in house using hot water and how often its ran. If you say its 15 years old id change it before it leaks. If its not working right thats a sign. If you happen to hear it rumble then its ready to leak. Change it

If its electric yes the elements could be losing power. You can check continuity for that but if its that old change it

I am still on the fence about tankless systems. You stated that you are looking to save on your water bill. Tankless heaters will not effect the amount of water that you use. If you have to run the hot water for a while to get temperature to the faucet or shower, you have more of an insulation problem or may need a recirculating pump. When not in use, hot water pipes will cool off regardless of what type of tank you have and newly heated water will have to travel the same distance unless you move the tankless closer to the point of use when installed. Insulating hot water pipes, in any case, is a plus.
The promotional side of tankless systems from manufacturers is that you will not be heating water when it's not being used, such as over night or periods of time away from home, when your tank may cool and fire-up just to maintain temperature. The real economical savings are still in question on this subject, but I have a link that may help you decide for yourself if this applies to you.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...eaters/overview/tankless-water-heaters-ov.htm
I'm sure that technology will always improve on tankless products to make them more efficient, but I don't think that the savings and cost of installing them offset each other yet. Your plumber should also look at proper sizing of the unit for high volume use and cold water inlet temperature, the effect of water treatment systems on your tankless unit and any necessary maintenance to preserve the heat exchanger and other parts so that you can get the most for your money over the long run (If it takes 10 years before you start seeing enough savings to offset the difference in cost, you certainly don't want to replace it before then).
Hope this information was helpful. Let us know.

Thanks for all the info! I will have my plumber give me an estimate on a tank and tankless system. It seems my choice may not be as clean cut as I thought it would be.

And a Merry Christmas to you all!

I'm not a fan of tankless heaters. I only recommend them if space is an issue. They can be finicky, and a Rinnai service call gets expensive quick.

Back