How long do HSC20D pumps last? Can they be rebuilt?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseme5

Reaction score
The pump is 10 years old. I just want to know if I could refurbish the pump currently in service. The gavanized pipe connected to it is in bad shape. I think if I try to unscrew the pipe on the in and outlet it will just break off. The check valve needs to be replaced and is in the same situation. I do not believe it can be removed without damaging something. How long do the motors last on these pumps?

Last edited:
10 years is a pretty good run on that motor. If the windings are still good, you maybe able to just replace the bearings. If the windings are bad, you should replace the whole thing. If the pipe looks that bad you should replace everything, because it is always where you stopped fixing it that it will break next, and usually soon.

I removed the pump and it does not look as bad after I pressure washed it. The pipes are rusted but only in the inside. I found a pump shop that said they charge $25 to check it out. Goulds pumps stated that they know of these pumps lasting up to the range of 25 years. However our water isn't the best and is very hard on mechanical devices.

Last edited:
Before installing pump into well use brass fittings and new check valve. Be sure to double clamp poly to insert adapter and heat pipe. Ales better seal and easier to work

That is not a well pump. It's an end suction centrifugal and is used for boosting pressure and circulation. Not lifting water from a well. If your using it for your well, it's totally misapplied.

You are right this is not a well pump but a surface pump on our well system. The shop repaired the pump. The pump had a blown main seal and the pump was filled with debris. The motor bearing was locking up so that was replaced. Total cost was $260. Not bad for a repair since a new pump is $1500. The also removed the rusted pipe connections.

Last edited:
You are right this is not a well pump but a surface pump on our well system.
Like I said, it's totally misapplied. End suction pumps are boosters. And I will sell you three 2hp end suction centrifugals for $1500.00 plus shipping.

Well this pump has extra features that are not standard. Single phase runs about $800.00 -1000.00. This unit is 3 phase which is a $200.00 upgrade. It has a totally enclosed motor which is a $200.00 upgrade. You can find them for 1200.00 if you shop around. This pump is also a multi-stage which is a standard feature.

I didn't install the system. I am just trying to repair it at a reasonable cost. The repair estimates we received are in the thousands of dollars. The company said the best solution would be to replace it with a submersible pump in a sealed container. Which runs multiple thousands of dollars. The company is not offering any type of discount even if I do some of the work. That is not right. This system we have had worked for many years.

Last edited:
Where I live wells are not common, so prices are through the roof.

Back