looking for the best water heater to replace our 80 gallon Rheem. 26 yrs. old

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklsvg

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
My plumber is retired but I still call him for advice. He mentioned a lot of plumbers are installing Bradford White and he still likes Rheem. We have an 80 gal. electric water heater. We are also considering a smaller tank to save energy. We are a 3 person family but the house has two full baths. Never run out of hot water. 2450 sq. ft all on one level. However our tank is in the basement utility room. We are also considering a move out of state so may sell the house in the next 12 months. Any thoughts??

Last edited:
I think 50 gallons will be enough. Bradford White and Rheem are good water heaters

ok great. how can i differentiate between the tank options. i looked up 50 Gallon Marathon and there are multiple model options but they look the same.

Marathon - Model # MSR50245 tall should be fine.

ok
looks like I may go with Rheem conventional tank.
83VR52-2

My other option is a Bradford White. What's the latest thinking on those brand options?

I like rheem and I've replaced a handful of Bradford's with premature tank failure (tank leaked after 6 years or so) but Bradford does have an excellent warranty. I personally like AO smith myself, I've had good luck with them. But each to their own

Back