Fitting a shower pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connett

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am wanting to fit a shower pump ans my existing shower pressure is rubbish i have a gravity fed system ( water tank in loft cylinder in a cupboard in the bedroom) i want to fit the shower pump in the loft if its possible i read there beeds to be 600mm between the bottom of the tank and the top of the pump is this correct? is there any measurements etc. that i need to check? And is is as simple as cutting the pipes and connecting the pump?

Thanks, Mark

From similar questions asked in the past, I am thinking that you are in the UK, correct?

I have never installed such a system before. Normally, when we here stateside have a pressure problem, a booster pump is added to the whole house, instead of just to a single fixture. But perhaps one of our pump guys can chime in with a helpful answer.

I'm not real sure what you have. If you can explain it better along with the type of pipe and it's size, it would help to understand your problem. Is the pump your referring to just going to be used for the shower?

Hi mate i have 2 15mm feeds H & C running to the shower the hot feeds from the cylinder up to the loft then to the shower and the cold feeds frrom the header tank to the shower. It will purly be used for the shower as the rest of the system is mains fed.

That's roughly 1/2". Can you use a 12 volt pump instead of an AC electric variety?

Possibly but both feeds need to be equal pressure wont they?

I don't know, I don't know anything about how you have it plumbed. I was just suggesting a little 12 volt pump that has a built in pressure switch. When you turn on a faucet, it starts and makes pressure. Where it would go in your plumbing would be up to you to figure out. Unless you can get us some kind of diagram of your plumbing.

Ok well this is bacically it minus the pump and U at the side of the cylinder

image-1178186429.jpg

I cannot lift the tank high enough to clear 600mm only around 400mm available

Can any of you Plumbers make anything out of this? I don't know what I'm looking at. I understand check valve and stop valve and that's about it beside the shower.

I tried to figure it out but all it did was give me a head ace. It looks like the green tube is a water heater but I,m not understanding the second red line going the the large red tank. But my thought was the same as yours with a 12 volt pump just for the shower. Like a pressure water system on a boat or RV.

John

I believe the green tube is an on demand pump, the red vessel is a water heater, the blue tank up at the top is a reservoir for cold water. The part I don't understand is the line leading from the top of the red vessel terminating above the top of the blue tank.

If I am recalling correctly, in the UK there are many instances where the main water supplies are undersized for modern plumbing requirements, particularly showers. So it seems to be common that reservoir tanks are installed in the attic and fill slowly from the main. Then there is sufficient water available to shower with, but without much pressure. So one solution is to install a booster pump to increase the pressure available from the reservoir.

connett, unfortunately none of us have experience with this type of system, so we don't have the knowledge to properly advise you. I don't know the reason for the 600 mm requirement, so I can't even begin to comment on whether you can get by with 400 mm or not.

Getting the right shower pump is essential. They boost the pressure and water flow to the shower and/or bath. Many modern day bathroom items require higher pressure to work optimally. If you don’t have the right amount of pressure you have in effect wasted your money.

Latest posts

Back