Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Showers and Tubs > moen shower valve won't shut off

Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
dburns

Default moen shower valve won't shut off

Hello, I'm a do it yourself remodeler. I bought a house which was built in 2000 and it had been unoccupied for several months. A moen posi-temp shower valve wouldn't put out any cold water so I bought a new one and put it in. At first I still didn't get any cold water but suddenly it started coming thru....I don't think I have full flow but it's pretty good. The problem is it won't fully shut off and I get a small stream. The old valve was hard to get out and the new one was hard to push in. Could I have fouled up the rubber things on the sides of the valve? Should I pull it out again? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 464 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 330

The Moen posi-temp doesn't pull out. The way it operates is you turn it counter clockwise to turn it on and.the the farther you turn it the hotter it gets. It sounds like you have the old Moen Chateau valve. Not quite sure what you did. Did you replace the valve or just the cartridge?

John

Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
IFIXH20
HERE TO HELP

Liked 229 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 163

John,I think he/she is talking about the cartridge -If you are talking about the cartridge,pull it again. check the Cartridge and the Valve for debris. With the cartridge removed, clean the Valve with a 1" fitting brush if it's a posi-temp valve - if it's a Chateau use a 3/4" brush, turn the brush clockwise going in and out of valve to remove any buildup inside valve. Valve will need flushing out - place something around valve so water does not get in wall or splash out shower,turn water on for a few seconds to flush. Lubricate cartridge and reinstall.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
dburns

John, yes in fact it was the cartridge I replaced. I used a brasscraft knockoff of the moen 1222. Sorry for the confusion. I think I'll go with ifix's recommendation and pull it again. Thanks for the insite on cleaning out the valve. There must be something stuck in there that prevented the cold water from passing and now has move to prevent valve from shutting off. I bought a cartridge removing tool and it did a good job of budging it loose but I still couldn't simply pull the thing out. Is there an answer to this? I felt like I was putting way too much torq into pulling it out. I thought I might be doing further damage.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
johnjh2o

Remove the knockoff cartridge and replace it with a Moen cartridge. If you call Moen's 800# they will ship you one free of charge. The cartridge you have in the now should pull out without the need of a puller. They only become hard to remove after being in use for a long period of time.

John

Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
dburns

Ok. I'll get on it. Thanks for the professional advise!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
mccmech

On Positemp cartridges there is a notch on 1 side of the stem which you thread the handle onto. That notch should be in the bottom ( 6 o'clock ) position when you put the handle on. If the notch is in the 12 o'clock position it's been my experience that the faucet will not shut off correctly.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
johnjh2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccmech View Post
On Positemp cartridges there is a notch on 1 side of the stem which you thread the handle onto. That notch should be in the bottom ( 6 o'clock ) position when you put the handle on. If the notch is in the 12 o'clock position it's been my experience that the faucet will not shut off correctly.
It's not a posi-temp. They replaced the cartridge wit a 1222, that's used in there Chateau line.

John

Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
dburns

Success. I removed the cartridge, cleaned valve body with 1" brush,lubed with plumbers grease and reassembled everything. It works great. Thanks to everyone to advise the rookie. I very much appreciate it.

Quick Reply