Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Toilets and Sinks > Toilet bowl drains slowly.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
andyismarine

Default Toilet bowl drains slowly.

i have a toilet that i just installed that slowly drains the bowl after the flush is complete.

It flushes perfectly, tank and bowl fill up at the same point, everything is good until the fill valve shuts off and then the bowl water slowly drains. i checked the gaskets on the flush valve, replaced the flapper, and checked the clean out with no visual obstruction ( however its kind of hard to see all the way back to where the Toilet tees in).

but heres the kicker, when i turn the tub on full blast (which is up-hill from the toilet on the main drain) the toilet will hold its level in the bowl.

Thanks any help would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
philly_plumber

It sounds like you may have an obstruction in your main line. This explains why toilets drain slowly even though there is no clog. Whether is it mineral deposits, tree roots or some other type of foreign object, I recommend getting the issue resolved before you have a big mess to deal with.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Joeypipes23

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyismarine
i have a toilet that i just installed that slowly drains the bowl after the flush is complete.

It flushes perfectly, tank and bowl fill up at the same point, everything is good until the fill valve shuts off and then the bowl water slowly drains. i checked the gaskets on the flush valve, replaced the flapper, and checked the clean out with no visual obstruction ( however its kind of hard to see all the way back to where the Toilet tees in).

but heres the kicker, when i turn the tub on full blast (which is up-hill from the toilet on the main drain) the toilet will hold its level in the bowl.

Thanks any help would be great.
Try.running a toilet auger through the bowl...no luck then inspect main sewer but if there's a stoppage in main line it will show up at lowest point ie. Shower or tub

Quick Reply