Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Water Heaters and Softeners > FVIR Water Heater Pilot wont stay lit after cleaning filter

Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
arcsum68

Default FVIR Water Heater Pilot wont stay lit after cleaning filter

Model Select State Series 200/201 High Efficiency GS6 50 YOCT 2007 (This was in the house when we bought it 4 years ago, so I have no documentation)

Been having an issue where the pilot would go out after heating the tank, pretty much just like this guy.

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/f12/pilot-light-will-not-stay-lit-2883/

I have not opened the unit, but I did get in under the thing with compressed air and a feather duster and cleaned that filter. It worked for a day after that.

This morning it was out again, so I built a vacuum attachment consisting of a small piece of copper tubing and a shortened 90 so I could really get in there and vacuum the filter.

Problem now is the pilot wont stay lit. Tested the thermocouple and I am getting 25mw, so that should be fine.

Suggestions? Should I take it apart and clean out the burn chamber or is it possibly the valve?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
arcsum68

Subscribing, sry

Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
arcsum68

Could it be the pilot assembly, or would the valve be a better guess?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
johnjh2o

Liked 449 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 294

My guess it you didn't get the filter completely clean. It's not a easy task. Take a look at the link I posted on the post you referred to.

John

Old 03-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
arcsum68

Filter is clean, its not getting any cleaner, guaranteed. I cleaned it from the inside and the outside, combustion chamber is completely clean too.

When I started this whole thing thing the pilot would always light, even before I cleaned anything, the filter being dirty should not keep the pilot from staying lit since it uses minimal air. I could be wrong, but again, lighting the pilot only became a problem today.

I called State, they are having me pickup a valve from a local distributor under warranty, but they are now closed until Monday

Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
johnjh2o

Liked 449 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I hope that solves your problem. But I bet State didn't tell you that it was a problem that they were having with there heaters.

John

Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
LiQuId

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

subscribing to hear the end result. I would have guessed debris in the pilot tubing as a posability, but you can light it ? try testing the Valve coil to see if its making contact ( becoming energized ) ... though warranty sounds like they maybe know something we dont

Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
arcsum68

I've read this series of water heaters by State and AO were terribly designed. I clean out everything, blew out the pilot tubing, cleaned out all the debris. Even lifted up the baffle on the bottom so I could fully access the top of the disc to clean it from both sides. Blew through the pilot tube and I could see the flow on the flame of a lighter. Not sure how much air I should be able to push through the pilot tube, but it's definitely not blocked. Besides, it actually stays lit as long as I hold down the knob, so gas is going through there, something is telling it to not stay on. Nothing was particularly dirty to begin with (outside), there was no layer of lint or anything, just light dust. I am almost beginning to wonder if the problem was with the valve the entire time. After the first cleaning it took me 5 or 6 tries to get the pilot to stay lit, I turned the temp up and down a few times and it finally lit and stayed lit. That cleaning got me through a day.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
arcsum68

I will say, they are awesome about the warranty. I have no documentation, no receipts nothing. Going to a supply house on Monday to exchange it for free. Hard to beat that on a 5 year old water heater.

Last edited by arcsum68; 03-31-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
LiQuId

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

john had mentioned something about the a.o smith water heaters on a previous forum but I hadnt heard about the problems with the state water heaters also having this problem. good to know, sweet that they are good on the warranty.

Quick Reply