Washer and Sink drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Reaction score
I am remodeling a house I bought for my mother. She lived there 6 months last year and decided to move back to her home. Now, I am remodeling the basement to get it sold. I cut out the galvanized plumbing and some of the cast iron drain pipe this weekend. The cast iron pipe served the kitchen drain and a Y from it served the washing machine. The two drains are directly in sight of each other on oppisite sides of the house. I would like to run 1-1//2 PVC from the kitchen drain to a 2" tee to pick up the washing machine, then a trap and over to the main line. Will the trap cause troubles and not do it's job?

any pictures?. it would help. Washing machine needs its own, separate trap. Where is the vent for all this?

The green plug in the pictures is where the kitchen drain did go. The 4 inch cast iron pipe goes through the roof for the vent.

Can anyone help out here?

Is a kitchen drain vented?. Check the roof above kitchen sink.
If you have window above kitchen sink there should be a vertical vent pipe on ether side of the window. If the sink is vented, run 1 11/2 or 2" if posible to 2" "Y". Remove old bucket trap from washing machine and instal new p-trap and connect to other side of the Y (as it is now). All this will work fine if kitchen drain line is conventionally vented. take a good pic of under the sink area in the basement, and post it here. take another shot inside kitchen cabinet so we can help you determine if kitchen sink is vented.

stan

The kitchen drain is not vented. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back