Tub faucet brand?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJay

Moron
Reaction score
Greetings all...

Sorry I haven't been around lately but there's just been too much going on lately dealing with my mom's house...

Getting ready to hopefully install acrylic surround over tub and was wondering just what the brand is for the tub faucet. If we can replace the guts and top cover it would be a lot easier than replacing whole thing.

d3f2045d.jpg

This is back side of the cover which screws into that piece above

4ad217f8.jpg

We are selling house pretty much "as is" but every little bit helps...

Thanks...

yowza, that is Ooooold and worn. You're in good hands, john is pro. It unlike any that i can recall seeing.

American Standard will do nicely. Looks like you have gone dip enough, so you can install whatever mom likes.

Thanks for the replies and for the information.
We are only in town here for a week or so, so if we decide it needs replacing will probably replace the entire thing.

The entire house is in serious need to updating however we need to spend more time cleaning it out of furniture, etc.. to prepare for sale.

We are only fixing the shower walls because they leak into the basement. Plastic tiles attached to drywall. Wow.

Toilet leaks when flushed and probably only needs new wax ring, but it is also very old. I'm afraid once removed it won't be possible to replace. Has two bolts on each side. So we are just going to put in a new toilet.

Ajay that is a very old toilet. There is a good chance there is no flange under it, which you need to install a new toilet. Many of the four bolt toilets were screwed to the floor with closet screws. Instead of installing a flange on the lead pipe they would just fold the top of the lead over the floor. Then use closet screws to fasten the toilet to the floor. Some times they used wax but they also used a mixture of plumbers putty and plaster.

John

No flange? Ughhhh.... This keeps getting better and better. I do know that the drain pipe is cast iron.

I guess I am lucky that I have gone thru the exercise of using a soil pipe cutter back at my house in Maryland. Of course this is the only toilet in the house.

The house was built about 1960 or so, I think.

Ajay if you can see it from below and it is cast iron going up through the floor and there is no lead pipe just before the floor then you do have a flange. It would be a cast iron flange and they were very durable and it should be in good shape. Before you get a new toilet check the measurement from the wall to the closest set of bolts. To use a standard toilet that measurement should be 12". They do make toilets that are 10" or 14" but they do cost more.

John

John.. Thanks for the reminder about the wall distance. I remember thinking about that on my last trip but forgot.

So I'll measure that when I remeasure the shower enclosure.

I will also try to see the flange from the bottom.

The toilet seems to leak when it is filing, not being flushed, as the water is clear and there is no smell.

Thanks for the advice.

Ajay that would depend on the condition of the lead. What would have to be done is to straighten out the lead were it is folded down to the floor and slide a brass flange over it then refold the lead over the flange. The flange then needs to be screwed down to the floor. If the lead is in good shape this is quite simple. Here is a link to the flange you will need. It's the 6th one down on the page. There is a chance that there is a brass flange already installed. One can only hope.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html

John

John.. After consulting with the rest of the family we have decided not to touch the toilet. We have too much to do as far as preparing for an estate sale to mess with it. We are just going to list the house "as is".

We will just expect the price of the house to be a bit lower to account for repair of the toilet. In retrospect we probably shouldn't have even messed with the shower. But we did get a cheap plastic surround kit that was less than $100 installed with the existing plumbing.

House is paid for, so we'll just lower price until it sells fast.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like the type house we have been buying down here for investments. Although most of what were looking at are short sales. For now were fixing them up and renting them.

John

Latest posts

Back