Help removing tub/shower stem cover

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evangogh

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to repair a dripping tub/shower faucet. I understand such leaks are usually caused by worn valve stem washers, seats, packing, etc. I have managed to remove the hot, cold and diverter handles, but there are smooth chrome sleeves covering the stems that I cannot figure out how to remove. To compound the problem, there is no gap between the grout and the sleeves. So my questions are:

• Do I need to chip away the grout to remove the sleeves?
  • How do I remove the sleeves?
  • After removing the sleeves, will I then be able to use the stem removal tool that looks like a big spark plug socket? (In other words, will the part of the stem that the tool fits be exposed once the sleeve is removed?)

The trim around the faucet handles said "Standard", so I guess that's the brand. I'm not sure if that refers to American Standard or not. The house was built in 1963, and I assume it is the original tub fixture.

Thanks in advance for any help!

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Is there another tool to remove the sleeves, or can I just use pliers? I chiseled out some of the grout and sprayed them with Liquid Wrench, but they still won't budge.

Thanks again!

Looks like somebody in the past inserted sleeves before tile job was completed. Use small chisel or old screwdriver to chip mortar around sleeves, then try to unscrew them.
This old faucet should be replaced. Just changing stems my not work for long.
You will have to unscrew those stems and seats to replace them.
What is on the other side of this wall? If you have acces to back side of the valve it will work better for you to just replace the whole thing.
Stan

Thanks for the reply! Is there another tool to remove the sleeves, or can I just use pliers? I chiseled out some of the grout and sprayed them with Liquid Wrench, but they still won't budge.

Thanks again!

Not sure what make faucet you have but you can get a rebuild kit that will replace stems,seats and all the trim including the handles. If I new the make I would be able to point you in the right direction.

John

So, thanks to the previous advice, I was able to remove the stems. I bought stem repair kits for American Standard Colony faucets (I found a stem that matched perfectly) from Home Depot and replaced all the parts. Once I installed them, although the tub spout no longer drips, the hot & cold water stems now spout water from the holes at the end where the handles go! Any tips? I made sure I replaced the washers exactly as they were originally.

Thanks again for the help!

Latest posts

Back