Older delta faucet leaks, help me identify it.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmreimer

Reaction score
I have a very old bath/shower faucet that I can't get it to completely stop dripping, no matter what position I close it in. The best way to explain it is like a joystick. You push it up to turn it on, left to make it warmer, right to make it colder. It has what I would call a sheath that goes around all of the internals. I know if I can get it taken apart I can replace a gasket or something, but I have no idea what part number this faucet is.

TjoAH.jpg

QBA7P.jpg

psBAd.jpg

Looks like a model 642. Call Delta @ 1‑800‑345‑DELTA (3358) to see if parts are still available. Some hardware stores may carry repair kits, but I believe that model is discontinued.

Thanks to both of you. From what I can tell from Delta's site, the ring I think I should tighten is corroded to the point that I don't want to deal with it. I think I'd rather replace it at this point; it's had 30-40 years of use, I think, and wouldn't be up to any code... but how do i get it off?

I have this same valve and I'm trying to get it off. Is is safe just to turn the whole thing counterclockwise with a wrench? I've got a leak coming from the back of the valve.

I have this same valve and I'm trying to get it off. Is is safe just to turn the whole thing counterclockwise with a wrench? I've got a leak coming from the back of the valve.

Do not force that nut. There are three copper tubes behind it that will twist. Then you're looking at replacing the entire faucet. Very carefully cut a slot in the nut then split it off. Replacement nuts are easy to find at a plumbing supply. Before installing the new nut apply plumbers grease to the threads.

35lrk34.jpg

I'm really dumb. Where is the nut? Is it the portion in the back or front near the ridges?

Before cutting, I myself would attempt some penetrating oil (PBlaster is my favorite) and a pair of channel lock pliers after the penetrating oil has done its magic.

Havasu, on another forum I'm a member he has another picture posted where he tried removing it with channel locks. There you can see where he has twisted the copper tubes. At the point he is at now he's looking at a faucet replacement.

I have this same faucet in my shower, and it drips constantly. My problem is I cant figure out how the handle comes off. I have taken the set screw completely out of the bottom of the handle but all it does is make is loose. Does it pull out or twist off. I am so afraid of twisting the copper tubing and sure don't want that costly repair. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I have the same problem, but I cant figure out how to get the handle off.. I have removed the set screw but all that does is make the handle loose,, does it pull out, twist off? I am scared to do to much as I don't want to twist or bend the copper tubing and have that expense.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks.

OP,
Had the same situation with a Delta kitchen faucet. HD had a kit with all the relevant parts. Worked fine for years after.

Freshocean,
If the screw is out it should pull straight off.

Latest posts

Back