Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Water Heaters and Softeners > Water Softener Installation?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
prickett

Default Water Softener Installation?

Recently I bought a GE water softener from Home Depot to replace an old/failed water softener. I read the installation manual ahead of time so I could buy the appropriate parts to hook it up. When I told the workers at HD what I needed they said they didn't sell those parts. I thought it odd they sold a WS that there was no way to hook up.

The WS has a 1" plastic hook up (male) for both incoming and outgoing water. I needed to tie that into my 3/4" copper pipes. After three workers struggled for about 20 minutes to find a solution, I finally ended up with:

* 1" female to 3/4" female galv
* 3/4" male to 3/4" male galv
* 3/4" female to 3/4" Sharkbite

I'm a noob, but I don't think you want to be hooking galv to copper - contrary to what the employee said (he said I'd be ok, so long as it was cold water - I don't believe this to be true).

I'd like to order plastic parts that mimic the setup above, and, if possible hook to a copper fitting of some sort.

Can someone tell me what parts I need (I searched a site selling PVC parts, but am not sure of the nomenclature of what I need)? And, if you know of a site selling said parts, that would be great too.

TIA,
Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
johnjh2o

Liked 397 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Sounds like your missing some parts. The 1" male thread is for the lock nuts that attach 3/4" copper fittings to the softener.

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/G0908085-00002.png

John

Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
PipeLayer1981

The only company I've found that solves this problem directly is Falcon Stainless. They make a 3/4" FIP x 1" FIP connector that works perfectly for most softener installs. Here's their website - Falcon Stainless, Inc. :: Flexible Stainless Steel Corrugated Water Connectors

Hope this helps!

-Rob

Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Matt30

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Throw away those galvanized fittings. They dont care if the water is hot or cold, they will corrode over time and plug up.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
chaseme5

You want to use PVC. 3/4" copper to sharkbite male connectors. Then use 3/4" to 1 " pvc adapters.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
plumbingjim17

Most simple fix is exchange the galv. for brass but you should have a bypass that can adapt to pex or have copper fittings that came with the GE softener if not you will have to contact them or a softener supply house to buy the bypass kit or take the softener back and find a more reputable one that includes everything and is going to last longer!

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
(801) 960-1567 ‎
www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
chaseme5

Softeners are not usually manufactured for the diy homeowner. However most homeowners can easily hook them up. There are several ways to hook them up and several optional features as add ons. That is why a kit to hook them up is not included.

You do not want to use galv steel with copper or brass. Corrosion will occur. Over time you will not be able to undo the connections. However you can use copper and brass together. As the galv steel breaks down, this can take years, elements from the galv steel can leach into the water.

Last edited by chaseme5; 03-18-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
stantonplumbing121
Banned

Send a message via AIM to stantonplumbing121 Send a message via Yahoo to stantonplumbing121 Send a message via Skype™ to stantonplumbing121

Water softeners work by exchanging one salt for another salt, unfortunately the salt that ends up in the softened water is harmful to plants.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
speedbump
Water well and pump tech

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Water softeners work by exchanging one salt for another salt, unfortunately the salt that ends up in the softened water is harmful to plants.
Actually they exchange salt for hardness particles.

Quick Reply