Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > Drain and Sewer Cleaning > Kitchen sink running out roof overflow

Old 07-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
scott

Default Kitchen sink running out roof overflow

I have a clogged kitchen sink that is becoming a nightmare. I removed the disposal and pipes under the sink. I ran a snake roughly 25ft and all seemed clear. Now when I run the water and disposal its coming out of the roof overflow pipe. I ran out of snake. Does this mean that I have a clog further down? Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 536 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Time to either get a longer snake, or call someone with one. Are you certain you were guiding the snake down the drain towards the blockage and not up the air vent?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
scott

When running the snake it would clear and then block again after another foot or so. Then it really opened up for the last 10 feet or so and I thought I was home free. When I couldn't get the water to stop coming back up through the disposal then I realized the water coming up the air vent. Thanks for the response!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

There are many things that I will do myself, but snaking a main line is not one of them. You really need to know how to operate the snake properly and have a feel for what the snake is doing. They also can cause serious injuries if you are not paying close attention.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
scott

I think you were correct on going up the vent. Giving it another shot and if it doesn't work then I'll call a pro. I'm using an old hand snake with a vice grip for leverage. Not dangerous, just hard to get the feel you mentioned. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Turn on the nearest faucet to a slow stream which will help guide the snake in the correct direction.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
johnjh2o

Liked 443 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
I have a clogged kitchen sink that is becoming a nightmare. I removed the disposal and pipes under the sink. I ran a snake roughly 25ft and all seemed clear. Now when I run the water and disposal its coming out of the roof overflow pipe. I ran out of snake. Does this mean that I have a clog further down? Any suggestions?
Scott I don't understand how your getting water coming out of the roof vent, that you call a overflow. It would have to overflow the sink long before it reached the roof height.

John

Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
Mr_David
Easily Amused

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
When running the snake it would clear and then block again after another foot or so. Then it really opened up for the last 10 feet or so and I thought I was home free. When I couldn't get the water to stop coming back up through the disposal then I realized the water coming up the air vent. Thanks for the response!
Have any pictures . As John mentioned that is pretty odd sounding.

. . . . . . . . . . -(@@)- . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . ----o00--()--00o----. . . . .

Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Fansplumbing
Master Plumber

He must be talking about a air admittance valve installed under the counter. If not, I'd like to see it!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
chris2011

Default water out roof

I just had the same thing happen to me. Stupid, I put carrot tops down the disposal. I was trying the plunge the drain when my husband came in and said there was water & carrot tops coming out the roof. Crazy.... I can't get the drain to open up. Will have to call a plumber in the morning. Which drain should I make sure he has access too?

Quick Reply