Freestanding bathtub drain question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorairo

Reaction score
Hi all, I (unfortunately?) purchased a freestanding tub with a center drain. The box claimed the tub is "easy to install", but I think I was fooled. I'm not a plumber - just a DIYer. :)

Since this is a freestanding tub, it has to be installed after tiling the floor. However, the drain connection under the tub is a threaded male pipe (1.5" I think). The overflow is already built-in/connected to it above the threading, so I don't have to worry about that.

My question is: Since I can't access the drain connection once the tub is sitting on the tiled floor, how am I supposed to attach the drain? I don't have access from underneath either, as the downstairs ceiling below the bathroom floor cannot be opened without a ton of trouble.

I was hoping I could flip the tub over and screw in some sort of connector that would simply slide into the ABS trap below the floor, kind of like a sink drain. But looking at the sink, there's also a nut to tighten around the bottom part, which would be under the tiled floor in the case of the tub.

All I can think of is to tile part of the floor, install the tub, then patch up and tile the rest of the surrounding floor, which just seems like a very odd thing to do.

I'd really appreciate any advice, cause I'm absolutely clueless at this point.

Thanks a bunch,
Sorairo

If you could take a few pictures, it would give our experts a visual to better help you. Let us know if help is needed in order to download them onto this site.

Certainly - here are some pics that I hope will help clarify my post:

195-freestanding-tub.jpg

196-drain-connector-im-supposed-attach-my-trap-instructions-mention-nothing-about-figure-out-yourself-kind.jpg

198-where-tub-going-temporary-drain-pipe-sticking-out-floor-where-drain-will-go.jpg

197-temporary-dry-fit-trap-showing-where-tub-drain-going.jpg

I personally am not familiar with those type of tubs, but just wonder why they don't have an access hole? I myself would call the company and ask for their recommendation, or just hang on here for some of the experts to give your their ideas.

While I have never installed that type of tub drain before, the thread on the drain appears to be 1 1/2" tapered pipe thread. An 1 1/2" ABS female adaptor should thread onto that, along with some teflon tape or pipe dope. Then you will need to calculate the height at which the drain pipe coming through the floor needs to be cut off at. Perhaps a straight edge across the feet, and then measure to the depth of the glue socket on the female adaptor. Then you will need a buddy to apply the ABS cement while you hold the tub in a rolled postion, and between the two of you lower it down over the drain. A couple of dry runs would probably help in getting the process down.

Did this help at all? I am having trouble finding the right words to communicate the process that I am envisioning.

I would like to see the manufacturer's recommendation from the manual. What phish described is the only way that I can see it being installed. A few dry runs with an adapter already screwed on and then apply glue to female adapter and pipe then ease it onto the pipe.
The freestanding tub installs that I've done typically have a skirt or an accessible base to aid in the drain connection. Your tub could be a bit tricky.

Ahh ok.. if I understand correctly, I measure and cut as needed, screw in the female adapter with teflon, cement both pipes, then line up the pipes and with a bit of luck, the floor pipe slides into the bottom end of the female adapter. After a bunch of dry runs of course.

That's kind of what I was hoping to do, but didn't know if such an adapter existed. Looks like the female adapter is just like a coupling but with 1 end threaded (according to google images anyway)? So yes, I think that would work, albeit very tricky. I'm not sure how I'd confirm a successful connection (I'll check if the drain cover is removable).

As for the instructions, they say to attach the drain "according to the drain manufacturer's instructions".

Here are the online instructions for a variant of my tub (all their instructions are identical except for specs): http://www.ovedecors.com/media/pdf/document_154_192.pdf

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help! I'll keep checking here in case you think of anything else. I'll eventually try a dry run before closing up the floor, just in case it proves futile.

Back