Sewer Clean Out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor

Reaction score
All,

I'm putting an apartment above my detached garage. Plan on bringing the waste line over and tie into the cast iron stack for the first floor bathroom.

The stack is cast iron, leaded together, and well over 100 years old. I really don't want to bust into it.

There is a cleanout about 6" or so off of it in the basement floor.

Could I kosherly tie into that, provided a cleanout was still provided.

Basically, there would be the cleanout with a cleanout coming out of it and a new black plastic 4" waste pipe going into it.

Would this be kosher?

Thanks,

it depends on local code, fixture load and other things.

You will need that cleanout as well as another to serve your new bathroom group. this COULD be the Toilet if it is allowed in your area by code.

If you say 4" in size then I would have to say that you are more than sufficiant in pipe size
Code in my area says that a 4" branch line can carry LOTS of fixtures, I dont know offhand but a 3"can carry 27
F.U. 's. but that it must be graded at 1/4 inch per foot while a 4 inch line can be graded at 1/8 inch per foot so allows for more subtle grade. ( always do the math on the run you are installing to ensure that you will not end up too low. )

You will also need to vent the new bathroom group and kitchen properly.

Basically, there would be the cleanout with a cleanout coming out of it and a new black plastic 4" waste pipe going into it.

I don't know what you mean by the above statement but UPC code will not allow you to use a clean out body or the branch of a clean out tee in a drainage system. So, if there are threads that you plan on tying into, you would be in violation of UPC code.

By code, it is not Kosher as Hyper stated. If you need to get the job done, I ain't calling no plumbing inspector to kick in yer door and fine ya.
Now, a few reasons that you may not want to do it is that the clean-out connection will be subject to leaking if you thread into it. The cast iron threads probably will not mate well with a plastic male adapter. Also, that type of connection will create a place for toilet paper and waste to catch. Even with another clean-out at the location, it could be more of an annoyance than you planned for.
Just to give you some foresight from our experience, some people have come to this forum and already have finished a project and cut some corners in the process. Eventually it boils down to ripping everything apart and doing it the right way...which isn't always the easy way...or calling a pro to do it for you.
I understand your reluctance to cut the cast iron, so the best way that we could help is by seeing the piping via posting a photo and maybe we could make some recommendations. A search of the forum may also reveal that past visitors have had a similar situation and found some help here.
Let us know.

Here is a link to an image showing my stack.. and an old bottle of Raineer Beer. Couldn't figure out how to embed the image.

vic2.jpg

victor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could dig the clean out body out of the hub you could use a ty-seal gasket and run the rest in 3" ABS or PVC. Rather than that I would snap a 4" x 3" no hub wye into that 4" stack with a few bands. That cast looks like it's in good condition. If all else fails replace that small section of pipe.

Last edited:
Back