Dirty Drain Pipe: Pictures/Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Parker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently my dad and I replaced the j-trap on his bathroom sink due to a leak.
He had tried using the dreaded Drain-o in the past, and we felt that might have only worsened the issue.

We've so far successfully replaced the faucet (due to us saying we might as well while we're taking crap apart), and the pipe that stems down from the sink base.

While attempting to connect the pipe that stems from the wall, to the receiving end of the j-trap itself, I noticed a large buildup of debris. A crusty, wet buildup, along with what appeared to be a large formation of black rice? Weird, I know, and somewhat startling, I took photos in hopes of answering my worries of tackling the real issue. Yes, the original trap was leaking, but are there clogs throughout the system, and do we need to call a plumber, or will a snake resolve the potential problem?

Anyways, here are the photos. They were taken with my iPhone and surefire E2D

101-steph-010.jpg

102-steph-015.jpg

103-steph-013.jpg

PS, I quick note:

Due to the toilet in the bathroom needing repair (which now has been resolved), and due to health problems, the sink may have been used to dump bodily fluids down the drain for quite some time. Eccentrics aside, is this damaging at all the the pipes or drain? Could this lead to a buildup?

It looks like animal fat. Grease from chicken or hamburger.
The white color is from pouring hot drippings down the drain.
It cools quickly and coats the pipes.
Best thing is to have it snaked out by a pro.
Do it yourself hand snakes are NOT very effective.
Liquid /chemical cleaners are no good. They only burn a small hole through it, maybe.

Snake and lotsa lotsa hot water! or a little bit of time a high powered jetter. Or both.

I agree with Mr. David, looks like fatty residue. The only thing that will get Fats flowing is hot water.

Take it from me. I pour a gallon of french fry grease down the drain every week or so, hahahhaha! :D

Back