Sink won't drain without disposal running

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krotz

Reaction score
I have searched all over the internet for help with this, but all of the solutions are to do things I've either already done or are not issues with my set-up.

We recently bought a home in which the kitchen sink does not drain unless the disposal is running. The sink also fills with the wastewater from the dishwasher when that is running.

The two most common causes of this problem, according to the internet, are that the wall drain is higher than the disposal drain, or that the dishwasher drain hose has not been attached to the underside of the counter or to the wall. However, as you will see in the pictures I have attached, neither of these is the case for me.

I cannot imagine that the drain is clogged, as it works when the disposal is on.

What am I missing? Thank you!

Sink IMG_4752.jpg

Sink IMG_4753.jpg

Snake the drain, sounds like you have a congested drain line,disassemble you’re drain line and snake it,also add a clean out while u redo the drain

Snake the drain, sounds like you have a congested drain line, disassemble you’re drain line and snake it, also add a clean out while u redo the drain

Thank you ExtraMilePlumbing ... the one thing I don't understand is how can the drain line be congested if it works with the disposal on? Wouldn't it be congested then as well?

Simple, basic drain line clog. Snake it or hire someone with a jetter to clear the line.

Back